Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Apple still sells Snow Leopard if it's no more maintained and exhibits security failures ?

I bought OSX Snow Leopard in order to upgrade Safari up to Safari 6.

But I now discover that Snow Leopard exhibits security failures and is no more maintained.

In that conditions, why to keep selling Snow Leopard?

I feel angry.

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 7:31 AM

28 replies

Jul 8, 2014 7:42 AM in response to lapin2garenne

Have you had security issues with Snow Leopard?

Snow Leopard is sold because customers need/want to use it, especially since it is a prerequisite for further OS upgrades.

IF you actually have security or other issues, it would be better to state those with as much detail as possible, and I'm certain one of the many satisfied Snow Leopard users could help.

Jul 8, 2014 3:54 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

OGELTHORPE wrote:

It is a reliable, stable and still the most efficient OSX that Apple has developed.

I give it very high marks and have had no security issues with it.

Ciao

I consider it the best Mac OS that I have used. Unlike what has followed, Snow Leopard nearly always "just works". I would prefer to be able to use Safari 6, since it finally has the option of a sidebar, but it's not a big deal to me since I mainly use Firefox anyway.

Jul 8, 2014 4:07 PM in response to lapin2garenne

After Install did you Update the software - somehow I doubt Apple sent you the media with all of the updates to Snow Leopard.

As to security errors - are you referring to SSL errors in Safari - I have seen them in the Activity - in that case I stop Safari and try the site later.

Sometimes I can just reload and the SSL error goes away - and the object or whatever is picked up.

Personally Apple should not follow Microsofts lead in stopping security updates to X12 & should continue with security updates to Snow Leopard.

Having looked at various requests here about problems with Maverick and then not being able to use software - not excited about updating until I know exactly what has to be updated - and I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about the Store help.

Jul 8, 2014 6:22 PM in response to lapin2garenne

The only thing to be really careful of with Snow is the very outdated Safari browser. It is no longer safe. Better to use Firefox, or Chrome, which are still being patched and updated regularly. Likewise probably for Apple Mail, which, like Safari, depends on WebKit being updated and patched regularly. One might consider using a different Mail client.

Jul 8, 2014 8:42 PM in response to lapin2garenne

Still regularly run OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. I haven't run into any security issues.

LIke myself, many users still want/need to run this version of OS X.

IMO, best and most stable version of last of what OS X used to be and could've continued being.

BUT, Apple wants to integrate and mesh more if its mobile devices and iOS features into OS X, now.

Makes a lot of sense, but it gives OS X a much more hybrid-like desktop OS experience, now, than a purer "stands on its own" version of OS X.

Jul 8, 2014 11:39 PM in response to baltwo

baltwo wrote:

I've seen nothing unsafe w/Safari 5.1.10

I don't think there's a safety issue (yet) but I've found an increasing, though still small, number of sites which won't work with Safari 5. For example, the calendar in this Royal Festival Hall page:

http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/

is scrambled and can't be used to change months. It's OK on Firefox, and on my new iMac with Mavericks.

Jul 9, 2014 6:10 AM in response to WZZZ

I bought Snow Leopard Server a while back to install in a VM if and when it becomes necessary for security reasons to move to Mountain Lion or Mavericks as my primary system. I'd prefer to just install Snow Leopard, but both VMware and Parallels make that difficult.

I really hope Yosemite is better than the last three releases.

Why Apple still sells Snow Leopard if it's no more maintained and exhibits security failures ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.