Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My nephew needs windows 8.1 for high school. Can we load this or a compatible Mac version of windows to his ipad air (like I have on my mac)?

My nephew needs windows 8.1 for high school. Can we load this or a compatible Mac version of windows to his ipad air (like I have on my mac)?

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 8:13 AM

5 replies

Jul 9, 2014 1:45 AM in response to KM-12

Based on your original post, I am guessing that you have Windows 8.1 running on Parallels or Bootcamp?

Parallels offers a product called Parallels Access (http://www.parallels.com/uk/products/access/) which allows you to access and control your Windows installation on your Mac via an iPad across the Internet (I have used it myself). Granted, this is reliant on an Internet connection to work and Windows running on your home Mac, but as stedman1 points out, you cant install Windows on an iPad. Something like Parallels Access would be your only option.

May I ask why your nephew NEEDS Windows 8.1 for High School? There may be ways around this need through compatible apps for the iPad?

Jul 9, 2014 1:17 PM in response to Whywutt

Well... to be honest I am working to understand the "need". 🙂 I have learned from other parents at the school they had to get a laptop as their child's ipad was insufficient.

I was thinking perhaps we could simply get him Office 365 or Word for ipad/Excel for ipad if the school actually had some "office requirement". I am still working to verify the software/computer requirements for the school.

On my Mac, i loaded the Office for Mac from 2010...for easy conversion of docs from family/friends/etc. So while I typically function in numbers/pages...the Office for Mac has simplified helping family members.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.