Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My ipod touch will not sync to iTunes

Hello,

For some unknown reason, my iPod will not sync up to my computer (or iTunes). However, if I were to sync my iPad, it would sync with no issue. If anyone can give me a solution or tips on how to fix this issue, would be most helpful. Thanks.

Other info:

I believe my iPod touch is the 4th generation.

software is iOS 6.1.6 (Yes it up-to-date as well as my iTunes)

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 10:21 AM

6 replies

Jul 10, 2014 9:44 AM in response to Tung5435

What exactly happens when you try to sync?

Does iTunes see the iPod?

Was the iPod previous synced to another iTunes library/computer?

Have you successfully synced from this iTunes library/computer before?

If so have you done anything like update iTunes on the computer since it last successfully synced?

Do the songs play in iTunes?

Does any media now sync to the iPod?

Do you have the right boxes checked to sync?

iTunes: Syncing media content to iOS devices and iPod

Try syncing using the manual method

Managing content manually on iPhone, iPad, and iPod

Jul 11, 2014 6:07 AM in response to Tung5435

I'll take it from the top.

IPod touch issue:

Starting from my PC to the USB to the iPod touch. It does not charge, nor can I find my IPod on my PC/iTunes (Nothing opens). My IPod does not appear on ITunes (Summary tab, I believe its called).

As for my iPad, I connect it to my PC using the same USB. iTunes automatically opens and I am able to click on the IPad TAB. In other words, IPad is perfectly fine to connect (However, is does say on the batteries, Not Charging).

To bobby_d. I have followed the link and completely reset iTunes and other apple programs.

Maybe its an issue with my IPod setting or something?

I do also have an outlet to plug in my USB cable. Both iPod and iPad charge without any issues.

Thank you in advance.

Jul 11, 2014 6:14 AM in response to lllaass

What exactly happens when you try to sync?

Nothing happens, like I have plugged it in

Does iTunes see the iPod?

ITunes does not see my iPod

Was the iPod previous synced to another iTunes library/computer?

My iPod has only been synced to one iTunes library/Computer (However I could say I have not synced my iPod with my computer for some time)

Have you successfully synced from this iTunes library/computer before?

Yes I have

If so have you done anything like update iTunes on the computer since it last successfully synced?

iTunes update automatically. I may have not synced my iPod for more than 2-3 updates

Do the songs play in iTunes?

iTunes does play songs from my computer library and my iPad. I cannot access my iPod library at all

Does any media now sync to the iPod?

I'm uncertain if it does, I have not connected my iPod touch to other media apart from my PC

Jul 11, 2014 6:17 AM in response to Tung5435

- Does the iPad have iOS 6 or later?

- If yes then:

---- Inspect the dock connector on the iPod for bent or missing contacts, foreign material, corroded contacts, broken, missing or cracked plastic. Different contacts are used for charging and data.

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Connect to another computer with iTunes 10.7 or later and see if iTunes see the iPod

- Backup the iPod to iCloud and then restore restore from backup. See:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

If still problem, make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store since it appears you have a hardware problem.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

My ipod touch will not sync to iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.