Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i pad automatically goes to itunes when searching other sites

Since updating to IOS 7.1 everytime I try to search for a web page it automatically goes to itunes store. If I do manage to get to the web page it only stays there for a few seconds and then goes to itunes store. Don't know if it is a setting on the ipad or what is happening. Even if I bookmark the page when I try to open it the screen goes to itunes. Help

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 10:23 AM

9 replies

Jul 10, 2014 12:04 AM in response to vickiefromst. john's

I don't think so or it would be more widespread. Try doing the same thing but first close all Safari tabs. Then go through the sites you visited in that three minutes one by one, closing the tab before going on to the next one. Take not of when the problem begins. I suspect it's a cookie associated with one of the sites you are visiting.

Jul 10, 2014 4:30 AM in response to vickiefromst. john's

Unfortunately it's likely an ad on that site pushing you to the app store.

There have been some like this recently, either ads on sites or ads within apps that push you to iTunes to hawk either a specific app or a developer's series of apps.

You can try to complain to that website's admin, see if they can block the offending ad. Or you can see if there's a browser in the app store that has adblock, and in blocking the ads you should block the redirect, or you stop visiting that site.

Jul 10, 2014 4:48 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

A nasty piece of coding in my opinion, It's akin to browser hijacking - which is usually considered the same as malware.

It's kind of a vicious circle. So many things are swamped by so many ads, people either block them or ignore them, the people putting them out get frustrated by the lack of response and get more obnoxious which leads to people getting annoyed and blocking them more and the ad providers get more aggressive.....it's an escalating ad war

i pad automatically goes to itunes when searching other sites

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.