Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New windows unable to locate file (music) while external HD is plugged in?

My computer was recently updated from XP to newer version of windows. My itunes acct no longer identifies or locates the music in my external HD. With the exception of my ituens purchases, my personnel music are listed as only files in my itunes acct. When I click on the song (file) it states unable to locate file even though my External HD with the music is plugged into the computer. Any help would be appreciated...

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 12:49 PM

3 replies

Jul 10, 2014 10:03 AM in response to 16to87

Hello 16to87,

After reviewing your post, I have located an article that can help in this situation. It contains advice on locating your iTunes library:

iTunes: How to open an alternate iTunes Library file or create a new one

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1589

Create or choose a different iTunes Library file

1. If iTunes is running, quit iTunes.
  2. If you're using Windows, hold down the Shift key and from the Start menu, choose All Programs > iTunes > iTunes.
  3. If you're using a Mac, open iTunes and immediately hold down the Option key.
  4. You should see one of these screens:
    User uploaded file

User uploaded file

If you don't see one of the screens above, you may want to try again. Remember to hold down the Option key if you're using a Mac or the Shift key if you're using Windows.

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

BobbyD

Jul 10, 2014 10:23 AM in response to bobby_d

I'm not sure that the shift-start solution is what's needed here - unless the external HDD is set up as a fully portable library (i.e., iTunes library.itl, other key files, artwork, etc. all on the external drive as well as the media folders). My immediate thought from the problem description is that the drive letter of the external drive might have changed as a result of the Windows update, or that this is yet another recurrence of the "disappearing library" that some people report as a result of iTunes updates.

16to87 - is your issue that the whole library (apart from purchased content) has disappeared, or that songs are listed but won't play because iTunes cannot locate them?

Jul 10, 2014 10:59 AM in response to 16to87

16to87 wrote:

... When I click on the song (file) it states unable to locate file even though my External HD with the music is plugged into the computer.

Has the external drive been given a different drive letter? If your media folder lived independently on the external drive but your library was in your user profile and has been successfully migrated to the new computer then a change of drive letter is the most likely cause. Try highlighting a broken link and pressing CTRL+I to get info, say no when asked to locate the file and look on the summary tab for the location that iTunes is trying to use. It will begin file://localhost. Where is it looking and what is the true path to that track?

tt2

New windows unable to locate file (music) while external HD is plugged in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.