Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Won't Charge or Power On

My phone has been dead for over a week now (I've been on vacation and have been able to get by using only my laptop and an internet connection) but I have not been able to get it to charge or even to show the symbol for charging. I tried pressing the power button and the home button (and even the both of them at the same time) but I have not been able to see any sign of the chargers working. I have tried a charger from Walgreens (which I heard have been unreliable) and a regular Apple charger, but none of them have been able to power up my phone. I used cheap chargers before that for a while, so I'm not sure if that screwed up the charging port on my phone, but the device is less than a year old and I have never had severe issues like this before. I even plugged the phone in for over an hour, and still nothing. Could it just be the fact that it's been dead for so long, or is it damaged? I have a 5C by the way, and I'm wondering if I should just wait and charge longer or take it to an Apple store.

Thank you,

Marissa

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 10:14 AM

Hello mct475,

After reviewing your post, I have located an article that can help in this situation. It contains a number of troubleshooting steps and helpful advice concerning power issues:

iOS: Not responding or does not turn on

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3281

Symptoms

Your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch may occasionally stop responding to buttons, switches, or touchscreen input and may exhibit one or more of these symptoms:

• Does not return to the Home screen after you press the Home button
  • Does not wake from sleep after you press the Sleep/Wake button
  • Does not turn on (or power on) when you press any button
  • Does not start up past Apple logo
  • Appears frozen or unresponsive
  • Is unable to "Slide to Unlock" or "Slide to Power Off"
    Resolution
  1. If a single application is not responding or stops responding when it opens, you can force it to close.
  2. If the device is unresponsive or if certain controls aren't working as expected, restart your device.
  3. If the device remains unresponsive or does not turn on (or power on), reset your device.
  4. If there is no video or if the screen remains black, verify that the device has enough charge to turn on:
    1. If you are using an iPad, ensure that it's connected to the USB Power Adapter supplied with the device.
    2. Let it charge for at least twenty minutes, then see if it starts normally.
    3. If there is no image on the screen, press the Sleep/Wake button to attempt to wake the device.
    4. If the screen displays a red battery icon, continue charging the device until the battery is fully charged. Learn more about charging iPhone and iPod touch, or iPad.
  5. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, or the if the screen remains black or shows a persistent Apple logo, try restoring with iTunes:
    1. Connect the device to your computer and open iTunes.
    2. If the device appears in iTunes, select and click Restore on the Summary pane. Learn more aboutrestoring iOS software.
    3. If the device doesn't appear in iTunes, try to force the device into recovery mode, and then restore it.
  6. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, contact Apple.

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

BobbyD

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2014 10:14 AM in response to mct475

Hello mct475,

After reviewing your post, I have located an article that can help in this situation. It contains a number of troubleshooting steps and helpful advice concerning power issues:

iOS: Not responding or does not turn on

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3281

Symptoms

Your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch may occasionally stop responding to buttons, switches, or touchscreen input and may exhibit one or more of these symptoms:

• Does not return to the Home screen after you press the Home button
  • Does not wake from sleep after you press the Sleep/Wake button
  • Does not turn on (or power on) when you press any button
  • Does not start up past Apple logo
  • Appears frozen or unresponsive
  • Is unable to "Slide to Unlock" or "Slide to Power Off"
    Resolution
  1. If a single application is not responding or stops responding when it opens, you can force it to close.
  2. If the device is unresponsive or if certain controls aren't working as expected, restart your device.
  3. If the device remains unresponsive or does not turn on (or power on), reset your device.
  4. If there is no video or if the screen remains black, verify that the device has enough charge to turn on:
    1. If you are using an iPad, ensure that it's connected to the USB Power Adapter supplied with the device.
    2. Let it charge for at least twenty minutes, then see if it starts normally.
    3. If there is no image on the screen, press the Sleep/Wake button to attempt to wake the device.
    4. If the screen displays a red battery icon, continue charging the device until the battery is fully charged. Learn more about charging iPhone and iPod touch, or iPad.
  5. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, or the if the screen remains black or shows a persistent Apple logo, try restoring with iTunes:
    1. Connect the device to your computer and open iTunes.
    2. If the device appears in iTunes, select and click Restore on the Summary pane. Learn more aboutrestoring iOS software.
    3. If the device doesn't appear in iTunes, try to force the device into recovery mode, and then restore it.
  6. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, contact Apple.

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

BobbyD

Jul 11, 2014 5:39 AM in response to bobby_d

Thank you so much! I have tried the steps to open iTunes and put the phone in Recovery Mode, but the device remains unresponsive. I have chatted online with a representative from Apple, and they say that it may be a hardware issue. I have an appointment at the Apple store to have the issue examined and resolved. I greatly appreciate your response, though! 🙂

Battery Won't Charge or Power On

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.