Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro crashes with checkerboard screen? Won't boot up...

i have spent hundreds of dollars on repairs for this computer. A new battery, new hard drive, etc. it's a 13" MacBook Pro from 2010, I believe. I know it's old but it's been running fine for a whole, albeit quite hot on the bottom. So it crashed on me this morning while I was using youtube- there was a link that appeared under the video which said I could use google to figure out why my video wasn't loading properly. It opened a new page where it gave information about my internet/cable provider, when all of a sudden the screen became overlaid with a checkerboard pattern , at which point I decide to restart the laptop. It doesn't boot up now, rather the checkerboard pattern appears, sometimes it's a different diagonal pattern and other times the screen is totally black, blue or grey. I am worried this laptop is really dying on me.... any thoughts about how to resuscitate it?

I am able use Safe Boot and ran disk utility, tried to restart it in normal mode but it still won't work.

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 1:39 PM

1 reply

Jul 10, 2014 7:17 AM in response to ccronic4

Hi ccronic4,

If you are able to boot your MacBook Pro using a safe boot - that is holding down the shift key during startup - successfully, that indicates that the hardware is functioning normally, and therefore that the issue is because of software. The good news is that a hardware repair will not be necessary.

See this article for information about what to troubleshoot further -

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

MacBook Pro crashes with checkerboard screen? Won't boot up...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.