Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Completely wipe OSX leave bootcamp intact

Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone has had to do this before, and if so, what are the steps I need to take.

When yosemite comes out I want to completely wipe my mavericks install but I have win8 in a bootcamp partition I don't want to touch.

Additionally, somehow I currently have an OSX 10.10 recovery partition(apparently the yosemite beta destroyed my mavericks recovery).

Is it safe to reformat your OSX partition/write new OS to it and if so, how

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 1:35 PM

11 replies

Jul 8, 2014 8:31 PM in response to babowa

How is what mustardkingdom asking a violation of the NDA? He is not asking or talking about anything that is in Yosemite. He is asking a question that is a valid question with any of the OP. Now while its true, you can't comment on how Yosemite will install and what it will or won't do until the Full version comes out. Someone can at least answer the question of whether or not its possible to erase the OSX partition without messing up the BootCamp partition as long as we stipulate that it pertains to all Current OSX versions and can not comment on Yosemite. For that, they will to follow your suggestion of going to the special discussion forum.

Jul 8, 2014 9:25 PM in response to praiford

Arguing about NDA's is not productive. The OP has stated that he has the beta installed; therefore, the question pertains to the beta.

Additionally, somehow I currently have an OSX 10.10 recovery partition(apparently the yosemite beta destroyed my mavericks recovery).

Additionally, and aside from any NDA issues, the only people who could help would also need to have the beta installed - otherwise there is no way to relate to a beta OS which, being a beta, may result in all sorts of unexpected glitches. Most threads mentioning 10.10 usually get deleted as we're not allowed to discuss anything about it.

Jul 8, 2014 9:35 PM in response to babowa

ok, thanks. I wasn't trying to argue, I was just trying to get more clarifications on that and I do see your point on that. I just honed in on the Removing OSX without removing boot camp part and became oblivious to the fact that he was running beta version Yosemite instead of just asking about it. I need to stop reading these at night when my brain is asleep 🙂 LOL.

Jul 8, 2014 11:49 PM in response to mustardkingdom

I don't have the beta installed. I reverted mavericks stable. My question should not apply to operating system version. It is a

question about OSX disk architecture. I do have recovery yosemite installed, but I didn't chose that.

My question has nothing to do with NDA's. The question does not pertain to the beta. Please learn to read.

Jul 9, 2014 5:27 PM in response to Csound1

I'm a little disillusioned now. I deem this what I call "yahoo answers syndrome". A support community

becomes oriented around points and then becomes focused more on finding any reason to comment on a subject

rather than simply answer the question any way they find possible, and the people with more points

pick on the people with less points when they try to constructively answer the question.

Jul 9, 2014 6:01 PM in response to mustardkingdom

mustardkingdom wrote:

When yosemite comes out I want to completely wipe my mavericks install but I have win8 in a bootcamp partition I don't want to touch.

Is it safe to reformat your OSX partition/write new OS to it and if so, how

This is your question. it SPECIFICALLY asks "Is it safe to reformat your OSX partition/write new OS to it and if so, how". Reformat in what way and what new "OS" are you referring to? You want to specifically wipe mavericks and keep only they BC partition?

Completely wipe OSX leave bootcamp intact

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.