Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

setting up airport extreme to earthlink dsl modem

Hello,

I recently bought airport extreme, the old version (and used), for the purpose of using it as a router for my zyxel p-660R-d1 dsl modem.

I am not at all good with computers, let along setting up an internet connection, so I am very lost and need help.

So, I just switched my service from Time Warner to Earthlink, because I only need internet connection, whereas previously I was bundled with TV and home phone. Earthlink sent me the modem, and self start-up guild and whatnot. And I realized that I don't have my old router with me, and decided to buy a new one, because I have already purchased my earthlink plan without the company provided router.

I read though reviews, and figured that my 802.11n wi-fi wireless Base Station would do more than enough job to make wi-fi connection throughout my apartment suit.

As I was trying to set up my router with the modem, I read the instruction for starting up guide with airport extreme. From there

it seems to tell me that I need a device called AirPort of AirPort Extreme Card?

I am a little dumbfounded and not wanting to believe my situation, because I thought Airport extreme as just like any other routers I have purchased that just worked by it self.

Am I reading into this wrong, or do I really need to buy additional things to get my internet connection up and running?

If I indeed need something else to get this thing started, can you please give me exactly what model to buy so that I don't end up getting in a trouble

like i just did to myself? If there is such a thing as different versions for AirPort that is.

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 2:16 PM

4 replies

Jul 8, 2014 2:46 PM in response to chomoon

I also attempted to install the CD that came to me from the seller, thinking I might able to do something without AirPort, and it did not run. It said that

"AirPort can't be installed on this disk. The version of Mac OSX on this volume is not supported"

My imac has version 10.8.5 ....

So... I can still use this version of AirPort Extreme.. right? no?...

Grr.. I don't even know where to get started. So, basically I guess what I want is:

1. Can I get wi-fi connection with just Airport Extreme + Zyxel modem + imac 10.8.5? If Yes, what is it that I am doing wrong?

2. If no, what else do I need (exactly what model so I don't get confused again) + how do I now set things up?

Jul 11, 2014 3:20 PM in response to chomoon

FCC ID: BCGA1143 IC: 579C-A1143

Ok, the A1143 is the model number. You have a 2nd generation 802.11n AirPort Extreme base station. Your ZyZEL DSL modem is actually a combination ADSL modem and router. If you use the Extreme with this device, you will need to connect the Extreme directly to the ZyXEL, via an Ethernet connection and reconfigure the Extreme as a bridge. You can then use the Extreme as a combination Wireless Access Point and Ethernet switch to support both wired and wireless clients on your local network.

You can use version 6.x of the AirPort Utility to administer this base station and can get a copy from Apple directly here.

setting up airport extreme to earthlink dsl modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.