Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 4s has suddenly stopped making a noise to tell me new emails have arrived, this was after an ugrade to IOS 7.1.2. It worked fine before and I didnt change anything but it just stopped dinging. I have checked Settings-Sounds

My iPhone 4s has suddenly stopped making a noise to tell me new emails have arrived, this was after an ugrade to IOS 7.1.2.

It worked fine before and I didnt change anything but it just stopped dinging when I got a new email.

I have checked Settings-Sounds & Settings-Notification Centre and everything looks fine.

It worked ok a couple of weeks ago but not after the latest update - anyone know why?

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 4:24 PM

5 replies

Jul 9, 2014 6:36 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks Lawrence

I omitted to say that it only occurs when the screen is locked - if I'm looking at something on my phone when an sms or email arrives, the phone 'notifies' me with a sound but doesnt do it when its screen is locked. Email messages and sms's (texts) still arrive but I get no sound to tell me they have.

The MUTE swith is in the correct place and I have tried resetting the phone with the Home and Sleep buttons several times, still to no avail.

I have noticed on the forums that many people are suffering or have suffered the same problem but Apple are never forthcoming, of course,

Jan 8, 2015 2:09 PM in response to Stevolt

Sorry its been so long but you were in fact correct Mac.Dee.

I'm now on OS version 8.1.2 and it still occasionally stops notifying me of emails but by quickly slipping into 'Settings' and 'Do Not Disturb' then shifting the tick between 'Silence - Always' and 'Silence - Only When Phone Is Locked' and then back again where it was, it starts to work.

Weird or what 🙂

Thanks lots.....

My iPhone 4s has suddenly stopped making a noise to tell me new emails have arrived, this was after an ugrade to IOS 7.1.2. It worked fine before and I didnt change anything but it just stopped dinging. I have checked Settings-Sounds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.