Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting 2 Time Capsules

I have 2 TCs, one is the latest (AC, i'll call it NEW) and 1 is the previous version (B/G/N, I'll call it OLD), both have 3TB storage and the old has another 2TB drive attached via USB.

I'm using the OLD one fine, backups via a partition (NAS) and time machine for several computers.

I bought the new one to not only extend my storage space, but also for better coverage throughout the 3 story home (basement, Main Level, 2nd Level).

I want the NEW one be the primary Router and eventually the primary NAS (~500GB) and for time machine backups.

I want to use the OLD as is -- for NAS storage, time machine, and include the 2TB external storage (used currently for 1 computer for time machine only). I've read up on extending a wireless network (wifi) and also how to configure via ethernet and put it into Bridge mode. BUT, I do not want to lose any data if it requires a hard reset to factory default, which is what I've read.

End result will look like this:

1) NEW TC is primary router with 3TB of new storage available. In Main level of home.

2) OLD TC extends the range in my home, whether it is wifi or via Ethernet (preferred). I might add the ethernet is going from the TC through a switch in the 2nd Level of the home

3) Keep existing external drive attached to OLD (don't mind moving this, but I lose a year's worth of Time Machine backup, not a big deal).

4) Preserve all data on OLD.

How can I accomplish this?

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 3:41 PM

1 reply

Jul 8, 2014 6:35 PM in response to Vijay9999

BUT, I do not want to lose any data if it requires a hard reset to factory default, which is what I've read.

No reset.. soft, hard or factory deletes your files.. files are deleted by deliberating going to the airport utility and selecting erase. Or delete them via finder..

You can either use ethernet plug old WAN to new LAN.. that is the best way by far.

Or you can extend wireless from new to old.. this will slow the connection to the old to less than half its previous speed, unless you have clients using it directly connect. So placement of old is important to get the best outcome.

Connecting 2 Time Capsules

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.