Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Logic Pro 9.1.8 compatible with GarageBand iOS 2.0.1?

A 2nd question is, why all of the sudden would the old iOS GarageBand files, that used to open, have stopped opening? I thought it was just the recent GB 2.0.1 that may have been the problem until I tried to open the old GB ".band" files and they no longer open either. Any idea why? Do I have a bug? Need to re-install Logic Pro 9?

I run Logic Pro 9.1.8 on a Mac Pro 2,1 and GarageBand iOS 2.0.1 on the iPad. The songs are built on the iPad, then opened in Logic on the Mac. This worked like a charm until recently. You just click on the ".band" file and it should open in Logic (the only audio software on the Mac), but it asks me to save the file instead of opening it. Then when trying to open the newly saved version in Logic you either get a blank arrange screen or Logic crashes and says it needs to be updated. 9.1.8 the latest version of Logic Pro 9. Is it asking me to get Logic 10? If so, it would seem that I need a new Mac as mine is 32-bit and Logic 10 is 64-bit. Yourthoughts and ideas are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you.

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 5:17 PM

2 replies

Jul 8, 2014 6:31 PM in response to skyhijoe

skyhijoe wrote:

why all of the sudden would the old iOS GarageBand files, that used to open, have stopped opening? I thought it was just the recent GB 2.0.1 that may have been the problem until I tried to open the old GB ".band" files and they no longer open either. Any idea why?

Something you didn't mention, were either operating systems updated recently.

Did you upgrade the OS (or even update the current version) on the Mac Pro?

What about iOS, was it updated recently.

Hopefully you don't have automatic updates on, that's usually sudden death to a working pro audio system.

Jul 8, 2014 6:49 PM in response to Pancenter

Thanks, Pancenter. Automatic updates is off. Thanks though, I wasn't aware of that.

Recent updates: The only update on the Mac Pro was iTunes. No other update was available. The iPad2 was cleared and everything was re-installed. It has the latest iOS and GB 2.0.1.

Whatever the previous iOS GB was, worked great opening in Logic Pro 9. I had read, maybe on this forum, that Apple keeps the GB and LP versions concurrent which seemed to mean that the current GarageBand is compatible w/ the current Logic Pro.

I did some more tests since writing the original post and I was able to get the old GB files to open in Logic, but I don't ever remember having to first save the file and check a bunch of boxes in the Advanced section when saving it, but this did work as the old files opened. So, I tried again w/ the new GB files (16 track version of GB) and Logic crashed again and said the file was "created on a different version of Logic" please update Logic. With no more updates for Logic Pro 9, is it wanting LP 10? Which I can't do bc of the specs of my computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.