Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini server as AP

Hi, recently I've been thinking about building SOHO router/server based on Intel NUC and Linux but then it stroke me. It would be nice if I could use Mac mini Server for that! So now I'm looking for someone with good knowledge of both Server.app and Mac mini possibilities to find if it would be even possible. First of all: is it possible to turn Mac mini server to access point with RADIUS server? That would go over basic 'internet connection sharing' built into every OSX but theoretically shouldn't be impossible, right? We have all required hw and sw in one place (well, I wasn't able to find ANY performance tests of shared connection from Mac against let's say, Airport Extreme but one task after another).

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 4:55 PM

10 replies

Jul 8, 2014 11:40 PM in response to Ren McCourtey

Hi piperspace, well, it is, even my old MBP is capable of being AP through routing ethernet traffic to Airport, unfortunately it's capable only of WPA2 (personal, no enterprise, equals no RADIUS).

Hello IToaster. It's been on my list for a while but list of future features is quite long, including mail server etc. Quite over the head for little raspberry.

Jul 9, 2014 8:41 AM in response to Ren McCourtey

The Mac has the built-in ability to 'share' its Internet connection via an additional interface in this case WiFi. However while this does operate in 'infrastructure' mode - the better mode unlike Windows which only does 'ad-hoc' mode it is still not as sophisticated as a real full-blown base-station. As mentioned by Ren McCourtey it is only capable of WPA Personal and hence cannot be linked to RADIUS.

This might change in the future but for the moment an option would be to run a Linux virtual machine on the Mac and have Linux do all this (which it can), you could even have the Linux side use the Mac RADIUS server which is the standard open-source FreeRADIUS software (also available for Linux).

The cost of a real Apple AirPort Extreme is not excessive, get a real base-station.

Jul 9, 2014 9:35 AM in response to Ren McCourtey

OS X does what it does, and usually does it quite well.

If you need something else and are headed toward customizations and extensions and add-on software packages, then Linux or BSD is probably going to be a better and more flexible choice to build on, and for cases such as this particularly given that there are available distributions such as DD-WRT, Tomato or OpenWRT around. I'd likely start with one of these three or an equivalent, as that looks like the best fit for what you're after.

Further up the gonzo scale are the Synology NAS boxes. All sorts of features can be added to these boxes.

With OS X itself, more than a few folks have slammed into various configuration and support issues, trying to run a server as a NAT box or router, and running it as a WiFi AP is likely no different — OS X and OS X Server are just not very good at supporting the sorts of wholesale customizations that other some alternative operating systems can support or even expect, IMHO.

Jul 9, 2014 12:41 PM in response to Ren McCourtey

Hello John, MrHoffman. This is exactly why I started this thread, thank you. I don't want to extremely customise OSX or something, I've got Linux for that. It's just that OSX is my OS of choice whenever possible. Because I don't have any experience with Server.app I'm simply not aware of what it can do (and didn't want to find out by spending 20 bucks just to see the thing).

Now, I like streamlined and elegant solutions (that's why I'm here at Apple's in the first place) so I adored the idea of having one tiny box doing all the heavy works like routing, wifi, packet filtering, DNS, time capsule, mail/file/media/print server...and I'd surely come with more ideas during time. And as I said, with Mac mini we have all required tools both hw and sw in this one awesome box, so I guess it's more like business decision from Apple side. Maybe one day, in the future, as we see consolidation of features lately... I don't want to mess around with Synology or some homebrew Cortex based board even though I know how, I'll definitely stuck with x86. So I have two options I guess. Buy Mac mini and Airport extreme, do click here and click there and have all this in two boxes, or build that unified solution from scratch on Intel NUC and Linux. That would take days and nights but it would be also fun (and tears and sweat) and also mostly educative.

Jul 9, 2014 3:22 PM in response to John Lockwood

What I posted above is wrong. I did not know that internet connection sharing was able to place a Mac into AP mode.

Apologies for my error.

Has anyone tried out John Lockwood's idea of running a Linux based AP in a VM on a Mac?

It would be a great way to debug and maintain a build of dd-wrt or the like. If the AP could be built to run in a VM with a console instead of just on routter boxes development would be much easier.

Jul 9, 2014 3:25 PM in response to Ren McCourtey

I tend to use Time Capsule as an Access Point, and that works quite nicely, and also provides an off-host backup target for Time Machine.

AirPort also works well here; I have a few configured that way, as well.

An AirPort or Time Capsule configured as an Access Point isn't particularly useful as a gateway, though.

The PC Engines ALIX Geode-based boxes are pretty nice for small servers. (Haven't looked at the NUC, however.)

Jul 10, 2014 3:49 AM in response to MrHoffman

I have a macmini 2011 (no server version) upgraded to 16GB memory and a SSD main hardisk, running the server.app at home and controling the network access in RADIUS mode. it works perfectly as a server, but as AP is not the way it was design, so you can do it but you will find thousand walls on your way.

to config easily the RADIUS under the server.app, there is an additional app in Apple Store "Admin Tool RADIUS" which makes your life easier for $2, instead of drawing on Terminal command line.

Mac mini server as AP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.