Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

too much help... Help!

Little help or suggestion windows open while I’m working on a Pages file. Sometimes when I hit the first letter of a word, a little window opens highlighting the letter or the whole word and offering me a definition or asking if I want to delete it or do something else. Most irritating. I don’t need this function. How can I disable it?

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 5:53 PM

15 replies

Jul 8, 2014 10:57 PM in response to picas

It happens when I'm going over text to revise it, using the trackpad and keyboard. Messages are "Cut", "Copy", "Paste", "Spelling and Grammar", etc. They appear in a small window that overlays the file I'm working on. It also happens when I click the upper border of a file to move it to another place on the screen. Then I get different messages, like "Icon and Text", "Icon only", etc. The messages disappear when I click somewhere else on the desktop.

I'm using the latest version of Pages.

Jul 9, 2014 12:18 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

You're right, Peter. You did. I didn't get what that was about at the time. I wouldn't be able to get a shot of those little windows because they vanish when I click on anything. I sometimes rest my left hand on the computer when I'm doing something only with the right hand and I think I may be unconsciously touching the trackpad when I move back to a word to click on it. I'll watch for that tomorrow. I've had this Mac Air for about a week and haven't used this system before.

Jul 9, 2014 11:11 PM in response to picas

I don't know if there's a tech word for it. By upper border I mean the very top, where on the far left you have three buttons to close, etc. I was referring to text files, which are what I mostly use. I've kept watch and you were right. Sometimes as I type or move the cursor I touch the trackpad lightly with my left hand. It was a habit that had no significance until I got into Mavericks and I'm still getting used to this system. Your suggestion solved the mystery for me. Now I need to avoid causing the problem. Thank you much.

too much help... Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.