Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I think I might have downloaded malware and want to know if there is a program I can run on my computer to look for malware

I was on a website and a tab with another website that looked sketch came onto my screen. I couldn't exit the page and a message appeared on my screen saying something about safeguarding my mac and in a panic I just clicked "Okay" because there were no other options. The popup message did not say anything about a download, but immediately something downloaded to my computer so right away, without looking at it, I moved whatever had downloaded from my downloads into my trash and then emptied my trash. I know I should have read the message or tried to force quit my browser but I panicked and am now concerned I may have downloaded some type of malware. I am aware that there are no mac viruses "in the wild" but am concerned I may have downloaded spyware or a trojan. I was borrowing a family members computer and they do not know if they had any antivirus software but I am assuming because they do not know that they do not have any sort of security downloaded other than what comes with the mac. I was wondering if there is some sort of program I could run to check for malware and what I should do with the computer in the meantime, like maybe have it shut off? And in the case of some sort of malware, does that mean I need to get a new computer? I'm just scared and know I should have been smarter about the situation but now I don't know what to do.

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 5:31 PM

6 replies

Jul 8, 2014 5:37 PM in response to rdcado

One thing ou do not want to do at this point is start downloading programs and mess up our system. Absolutely do not get MacKeeper, Norton, McAfee or the like as they are terrible programs. Read the information at Thomas Reed's site http://www.thesafemac.com where there is excellent supporting nformation. Thomas is a regular contributor on here and does very good work.

Jul 8, 2014 8:19 PM in response to rdcado

There is no currently known malware that could have been installed in this manner as long as you did not open what was downloaded, as long as you have not disabled GateKeeper and read any warnings that OS X gives you concerning downloaded software. If you decided to run ClamXav already and it gave you a clean scan then you should have nothing to worry about. If you have questions about it come to the ClamXav Forum for fastest, most efficient answers.

Jul 8, 2014 8:56 PM in response to rdcado

It's not malware. It's a JavaScript scam that only affects your web browser, and only temporarily.

Some of those scam pages can be dismissed very easily. Press command-W to close the tab or window. A huge box will pop up. Press the return key and both the box and the page will close. If that doesn't happen, continue.

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari ▹ Preferences... ▹ Security

and uncheck the box marked Enable JavaScript. Leave the preferences dialog open.

Close the malicious window or tab.

Re-enable JavaScript and close the preferences dialog.

If the Preferences menu item is grayed out, quit Safari. Force quit if necessary. Relaunch it by holding down the shift key and clicking its icon in the Dock. From the menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

to get rid of any cookies or other data left by the server. Open your Downloads folder and delete anything you don't recognize.

Jul 9, 2014 8:31 PM in response to Linc Davis

I wasn't stuck on the page after whatever it was downloaded to my computer. I was able to exit immediately afterwards. It wasn't like one of the pages that said I needed to pay $500 or enter information or anything, which was what weirded me out in the first place because it seemed like the whole purpose of the website was to make my computer download whatever it was. It seems like you know a lot about this sort of thing, so I trust what you said above, but I'm just not sure it applies to exactly what I was talking about. I'm not questioning you, I'm just not sure I explained it the right way. Knowing what I said above about being able to exit the tab once this unknown thing downloaded, do you still think that it is a Javascript scam?

I think I might have downloaded malware and want to know if there is a program I can run on my computer to look for malware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.