Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gen 1 ATV wont sync but one movie.

I just purchased a Gen one Apple TV for an older HD tv. I want to sync my iTunes movies to it but it doesn't work. Music and photos work just fine. All my movies are in the cloud. Does that have anything to do with it?

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 6:27 PM

5 replies

Jul 8, 2014 7:18 PM in response to 311Fan311

I have a situation similar to yours with an ATV1 and ATV3. I have created two iTunes libraries, one on each of the Macminis I have. One has preferences set to 1080p, the other is 720p. I sync the 720p library to ATV1. The reason for syncing vs streaming is that it also creates a local copy on the ATV1 and plays content even if the 720p iTunes library/Macmini is down for any reason, without pulling it over the network for every streaming session. If this is a possible option, it may be worth it.

If I try to sync (or stream) my 1080p library to ATV1, it gives me an error message about incompatible media format. If I connect the ATV1 to the 1080p library, it does not show me catalog of content for video. I can see audio/photos in either case.

Jul 9, 2014 1:28 AM in response to 311Fan311

AppleTV 1 is not powerful enough to decode 1080p video.

It can handle 720p video at 24/25fps.

It is quite old but still a nice device.

Unfortunately however it knows nothing about the 'cloud' and purchases there.

It was designed to sync with media downloaded or added to iTunes.

You would in theory need to download to iTunes in 720p or SD and then choose to sync.

You can set the download resolution in iTunes Preferences.

AC

Jul 9, 2014 1:33 AM in response to 311Fan311

311Fan311 wrote:

I should still have to option to see all my movies and try to sync them and also try to play them. Error message or not.

I've not tried to sync an AppleTV 1 for some time, though I still have them, but this is likely to be a case of iTunes 'trying to be clever' - it is probably only showing 720p or SD content, so if you have it in 1080p it won't show it - if it's not downloaded and lives in teh cloud don't expect to see it to sync at all - I just cannot see Apple investing time in programming cloud to AppleTv1 syncing via iTunes when the original sync compatible downloads persists - if they do or have great, just can't see it being a priority and to be honest I think we have to be thankful they haven't dropped all iTunes support for ATV1 in the iTunes 11 shambles.

Gen 1 ATV wont sync but one movie.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.