Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP RD 2012 - Fan cleaning costs?

I've had my MacBook Pro (Retina Display - 2012) for 2 years and am generally pleased with it. The fan is running a little more and a little louder than usual these days. The SMC reset helped but I am sure that getting dust off the fans would be good for the machine's health. I have AppleCare until July 2015 but Apple says this is not covered. They said they'd be happy to fix it if it conked out but no preventive maintenance. Not happy about it but there's little I can do short of voiding the remainder of the warranty by doing it myself.

I'm looking for going rates on fan cleaning before I start contacting authorized repair shops. I am in the Los Angeles area. Suggestions appreciated.

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 8:15 PM

Opening and cleaning your system does not void your warranty unless you damage it while it's open. Make sure discharge static electricity then open the system and use a can of air to clear out the dust. I have done it multiple times with my retina.

5 replies

Jul 11, 2014 11:50 AM in response to NivaR

Followup: I backed up the machine, bought a pentalobe screwdriver, put the MBP on an antistatic surface, and pulled the back off easily. A dangerous amount of dust had clumped into the heatsinks, fan, and the vents. I got it all out, put the back on, and it booted up fine. I'll be tracking the fan noise over the next few days but this could only have helped. Thisis my first and only Mac after years of PC/laptop purchases and I'm very impressed with Apple's hardware design. They packaged this thing aggressively but there was enough margin to keep the it alive in spite of the load on the thermal system.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

MBP RD 2012 - Fan cleaning costs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.