Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

STORAGE PROBLEMS!!!

Okay, so I have 2 problems...

1) A majority of my storage by data is being taken up by this storage called "Other". Like what does this storage contain and how do I get rid of it?

2) Second of all, a majority of my data is being taken up by "Documents and Data". How do I get rid of this without deleting the apps themselves?

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 7:00 PM

9 replies

Jul 8, 2014 7:07 PM in response to zerrie_ziall99

1. Other can be caches stored by various apps. There only one way to delete them if the app itself don't offer delete history, cache etc, you have to delete the app which will remove everything including their cache and you can redownload it again. It can also be system stored such as iOS files which can't be deleted.

2. Documents and Data could be sync from iCloud. Is your iCloud on? If it is, you can turn it off Settings>iCloud>Turn off Documents and Data and select delete from iPhone

Jul 8, 2014 7:07 PM in response to zerrie_ziall99

1) "Other" to my knowledge is the actual iOS so you should probably not get rid of that. 😉

2) As far as documents and data, that is a reference to the docs and data you have synced to iCloud that are stored on your phone. This can include app data as well as Pages, Numbers, Keynote, text docs, etc. You can go into your iOS settings (gear icon) -> iCloud -> Documents & Data and control the apps that are using this or just turn off Documents & Data from using space.

Jul 9, 2014 7:01 AM in response to cdrog

cdrog wrote:

1) "Other" to my knowledge is the actual iOS so you should probably not get rid of that.

Excessive other frequently the result of corrupt databases, often caused by a problem during syncing with iTunes. Now that fewer people are syncing using iTunes, we see less of this problem on the forums. It can be removed by restoring the device as new and re-syncing the data.

Jul 9, 2014 8:01 PM in response to zerrie_ziall99

Did you do restore from backup? Usually restoring backup also adds to "Other" If you restore your phone and set it as new, your will see "Other" taking less disk space than after restoring a backup and also syncing from iCloud. My "Others" is only 1. something GB since I don't have a lot of stuff on mines mainly contacts, few necessary apps, no games and few emails, only iCloud Find My iPhone and other stuff.

All the games and other stuff is on my 4 which I see the "Other" is almost 3.6GB.

Jul 9, 2014 8:16 PM in response to cdrog

cdrog wrote:

As per Meg St._Clair's suggestion I would also suggest backing up your phone and then reinstalling iOS then resync to your backup. Just for reference, my "other" is approx 2.5GB and I recently did a full restore on my iPhone.

I want to clarify: backing up and restoring from the back up will NOT solve the problem. You'll just be reloading it onto the phone. You need to sync your data then restore the phone as new, then sync the data back to the phone.

STORAGE PROBLEMS!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.