Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There was a problem connecting to the server “10.0.1.30”

In the last couple of days I have started getting the error "There was a problem connecting to the server “10.0.1.30”" popping up on the screen. Nothing to my knowledge has changed and I have no devices on my LAN that have an IP address in this range. All devices IP addresses are 192.168.20.1xx and my router's IP address is "10.106.75.57", subset mask "255.255.255.255", gateway "10.106.75.57", DNS "10.5.80.241 , 10.5.68.232" (Router is NetComm NF2 with attached AirCard 320U USB 3G/4G modem).

A couple of weeks ago I switch from using a Sierra (NetGear) Aircard 760S Hotspot Modem (default IP address of 10.0.0.138) using the AirCard Hub wireless router (IP address 10.0.1.1) to the NetComm router AirCard modem combination.

If I Ping "10.0.1.30" the results are as follows:

"PING 10.0.1.30 (10.0.1.30): 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

60 bytes from 10.5.70.11: Communication prohibited by filter

Vr HL TOS Len ID Flg off TTL Pro cks Src Dst

4 5 28 5400 caf4 0 0000 3e 01 d159 192.168.20.109 10.0.1.30 "

This error message is annoying, but apart from that everything appears to be working just fine. Is there a way of tracking down what is attempting to call 'server"10.0.1.30"' and stoping it. I.E. is there a quick and simple fix?

Hardware Overview:Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27

System Version: OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 7:26 PM

7 replies

Jul 8, 2014 7:45 PM in response to acd_pickering_brook

There are many possible causes for this issue, and it may be hard to resolve. Please take each of the following steps that you haven't already tried. Back up all data before making any changes.

Step 1

If you get the alert as soon as you log in, it's probably caused by one of your login items or by software that otherwise loads at startup or login. Ask if you need help identifying it. A known offender is "AdobeResourceSynchronizer," which is a component of some Adobe products. See also this discussion.

If you get the alert in the login screen before you log in, stop here and ask for instructions.

Step 2

If there's an icon representing the server in the sidebar of a Finder window, hold down the command key and drag it out.

Step 3

In the Finder, press the key combination command-K or select

Go Go to Server...

from the menu bar. In the upper right corner of the window that opens is a Recent Servers popup menu represented by a clock icon. From that menu, select

Clear Recent Servers…

and confirm. Test.

Step 4

Open the Printers & Scanners pane in System Preferences and delete any network devices you no longer use.

Step 5

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing command-C:

~/Library/PDF Services

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return. A folder may open. If it does, move the contents to the Desktop, or to a new folder on the Desktop. Log out and log back in. Test. If there's no change, put the items you moved back where they were and continue.

Step 6

Open the folder

~/Library/Preferences

as in Step 5 and move the file named "loginwindow.plist" items in that folder to the Trash, if it exists (it may not.)

Log out and back in again, and test.

Step 7

Other possible causes are references in the iPhoto, iTunes, or iMovie library pointing to the server, and bookmarks in the Preview application.

Try rebuilding the iPhoto library.

Step 8

Triple-click the line below to select it:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Directory Utility.app

Rght-click or control-click the highlighted text and select

Services Open

from the contextual menu.* The application Directory Utility will open.

In the Directory Utility window, select the Directory Editor tool in the toolbar. Select Mounts from the Viewing menu in the toolbar, and /Local/Default from the node menu, if not already selected. On the right is a list of names and values. By default, the list is empty. If it's not empty, post a screenshot of the window and stop here.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). Open a TextEdit window and paste into it (command-V). Select the line you just pasted and continue as above.

Step 9

Open the following file as you did in the last step:

/etc/auto_master

It will open in a TextEdit window. The contents should be exactly this:

#
# Automounter master map
#
+auto_master # Use directory service
/net -hosts -nobrowse,hidefromfinder,nosuid
/home auto_home -nobrowse,hidefromfinder
/Network/Servers -fstab
/- -static

If there are any other lines in the window, post them. Otherwise, close the window.

Jul 9, 2014 3:26 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc,

The error message appears about 7 seconds after startup and login. It never occurs before login. If you logout and login, without a restart the error message does not occur. Only appears to occur after Start/Restart, the message then pops up about 7 seconds after logging in, then will pop up about 2 more times over several minutes and then not bother you again.

I'm thinking your Step 1 is the most likely. And yes I could do with a few pointers on tracking down the startup loads.

Step 2 - No icon in the sidebar.

Step 3 - Cleared, no affect.

Step 4 - No unused printers etc.

Step 5 - No change by moving the contents of PDF Services to the Desktop and doing a restart.

Step 6 - No change by trashing the "loginwindow.plist"

Step 7 - Rebuilt the iPhoto library. No change. I use Aperture in preference to iPhoto.

Step 8 - As default, my list was empty.

Step 9 - Exactly as your example.

Jul 9, 2014 8:23 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks again Linc,

Non of the Login Items looked odd. But Removed all just to check. Did a full restart. Same error message about 7 seconds after login. Reinitiated the login items.

I have not tried removing '/Users/ADAW/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail' or '/Users/ADAW/Library/Containers/com.apple.MailServiceAgent' as suggested by your link in Step 1 of your first replay as this error message occurs before mail is opened. Is it still worth a go?

Another bit of information just discovered is that if I restart the Mac totally detached from the LAN (ethernet or WiFi) the error message does not occur, as soon as the network is re-attached via either cable or wireless the error pops up. Does that give you any clues?

Jul 9, 2014 8:43 PM in response to acd_pickering_brook

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you turn on the computer, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a Fusion Drive or a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Jul 9, 2014 11:00 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

That did the trick with one slight glitch that has been resolved.

I disconnected everything, monitor, keyboard, mouse but left the ethernet attached. Started in safe mode and the error after login did not reappear. Re started the Mac, same configuration, no error after login.

I then reattached the apple cinema display, keyboard and magic mouse. This then caused the Finder to keep relaunching. I did another restart with the same result, the Finder kept doing a constant relaunch. I then did another safe start with the monitor, keyboard and mouse attached. All OK, the Finder stable and not constantly cycling through a relaunch. Restarted the Mac again in normal mode and again all OK, Finder is now stable and not cycling through a relaunch. The error message 'There was a problem connecting to the server "10.0.1.30"' has not reappeared. Much to my relief!

Well whatever starting in Safe Mode does, it got rid of the problem. Thanks for all your effort and help Linc, much appreciated.

Jul 19, 2014 3:46 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

further to our discussion. The problem came back, much to my annoyance. After deleting Login Items, trashing the "Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist", fixing disk permissions and multiple safe restarts I finally came to the conclusion it had to be the NetComm NF2 Router or the NetGear AirCard 320U USB 4G Modem, because as soon as the router was detached from the LAN the problem appeared to go away. Also the particular error appeared roughly around the time I had done a firmware update of the router (to attempt to solve another problem - that turned out not to bee a problem at all, just a bit of missing information in the NetComm manual). As it turned out neither the Router nor the Modem were at fault. Attached to the router, apart from the ethernet switch, was a Satellite TV system (Foxtel) and an HP OfficeJet Pro 8500A Plus printer. Neither of these devices had been considered to be likely candidates as they had been on the network for several years without any issues. As it turned out it was the HP printer causing the error. After a full factory reset the error message has disappeared, for good I hope. Why this error started I have no idea as the printer has had nothing changed on it.

Thanks for your time Linc.

There was a problem connecting to the server “10.0.1.30”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.