Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade to SSD for Early 2011 MBP messed up computer

So I decided to upgrade to a new SSD for my MBP. I am running OS mavericks. I upgraded the RAM no problem. The drive I upgraded to is a Crucial M550 1TB SSD.

I decided to put it in the computer and reformat it from there instead of using carbon copy cloner. I formatted the drive, and tried to restore it from a time machine backup. When it said that there was one hour remaining, it suddenly "finished."

When it asked me to put in my iCloud information, I couldn't do it. It said something along the lines of "there was an error connecting to the server." I decided to log in once I actually started the computer up.

When the computer completely booted my programs opened and they all said that they couldn't connect to their respective "servers," like mail accounts, calendar accounts, and etc. And every site visited in safari says it cannot verify the certificate. I cannot log into iCloud or anything on my computer and my date was reset to the year 2000. I am at a complete loss as to what to do now. I am attempting to restore again but I don't know how it will help.

Any ideas?

P.S. It essentially messed my entire computer up so I really don't know which community to put this in.

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 8:48 PM

7 replies

Jul 8, 2014 9:06 PM in response to Linc Davis

It was already checked. The issue is that I cannot log into icloud (or even facebook) and browsing is hard to do. Also, my prevoius hard drive used 600GB and the new drive only shows ~500 in use ATM.

I am currently restoring from the backup again to see if it will work now. As a side note when I started it up the first time after installation I had to do an internet recovery thing so that I could access the disk utility and do the process of formatting the new drive and restoring from time machine. Not sure how much help that information is, but the more the merrier.

Jul 8, 2014 9:35 PM in response to Rald

Ok. So I looked up all the errors I have had individually, and found that incorrect date/time may be an explanation for the problems I am having. Not sure why those are the reasons, but as soon as my computer is done restoring again (I still don't know why it showed it as still having an hour left for the restore) I will try that if I still have problems.

Upgrade to SSD for Early 2011 MBP messed up computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.