Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does snow leopard automatically update to lion? If not, why?

I have snow leopard on my computer, and I always have thought that when I click software update in the apple menu that it updates the computer to the latest and greatest. Why doesn't it do that?

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 7:22 PM

3 replies

Jul 8, 2014 7:47 PM in response to aasaghafian

That's not how updates work. Each OS is treated differently even though they maintain continuity. Software update will only show you updates for snow leopard. If you want the latest and greatest, pay attention to announced software releases. If your computer can support Mavericks, then open your app store and search for mavericks. It will be a free upgrade. You can check compatibility here: http://gizmodo.com/heres-the-list-of-macs-compatible-with-os-x-mavericks-5125503 69. If your mac can support lion, but not mavericks, you will need to purchase lion from apple and install it. I hope I've helped.

Jul 8, 2014 8:15 PM in response to aasaghafian

There's a difference between updates and upgrades > Software update, upgrade--what's the difference?

And update would be: v10.6.6 to v10.6.8

And upgrade would be: v10.6 Snow Leopard to v10.7 Lion and so on.

If your Mac meets Lion's requirements > OS X Lion - Technical Specifications

v10.7 Lion is available for purchase from the Apple Store > OS X Lion (10.7) - Apple Store

Does snow leopard automatically update to lion? If not, why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.