Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when wiping/erasing my macbook hard drive the trackpad wont work

I am wiping/erasing/zeroing my hard drive to make my macbook run faster. I am using the MAC OS X snow leopard disk. During the wiping/erasing/zeroing the trackpad will move the cursor yet not allow it to click/select anything. I have been able to get through the first stage using the tab key and they enter key however there is an essential step where i need to select an drop down menu from the top bar. Then when I stop the wiping and go back to my account the mouse works fine. Any insight would be appreciated!

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 9:13 PM

1 reply

Jul 11, 2014 7:25 AM in response to tillynz

Hey tillynz,

Thanks for the question. I know this may sound like an incredibly weird question, but are you tapping to click? as opposed to a physical click-down on the trackpad? If so, that is the root of the issue. The following resource provides more information. While it is titled for an external Magic Trackpad, the same applies for your trackpad:

Magic Trackpad: About the Tap to Click feature

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4331

Tap to Click is a user specific preference, just like your Desktop picture or Screensaver. If you log out of your account, you won't be able to tap to click at the logout screen. In addition, when you start up to the Install DVD or Apple Hardware Test, the Tap to Click feature won't be available.

Thanks,

Matt M.

when wiping/erasing my macbook hard drive the trackpad wont work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.