Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happened this morning to ASC?

I get that site needs maintenance from time to time, Usually one gets the "Sticky Note" 'Be right back' page, but not today.... thesehad a page title "Server Error | Apple"

After that stopped, Community main pages displayed a list that was no list with the text "There are no recent discussions to display" (or something very much like that)

Apparently, this was not the case for others since when I finally started seeing a list, posts' time stamp (n hours ago) indicated the span where I was experiencing the former and the latter.

I know asking will only get speculation that the problem was between the chair and the screen (you know who I mean 😉 )

CuriosityCilledTheCat

You are not allowed to create or update this content
*For those who know what I'm talking about, the above is what happens to a newbie trying to post without choosing anything in the"Select a Community To Post To" step - a little disconcerting

Message was edited by: ChitlinsCC This is handy, and obviously new to ME

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 7:49 PM

23 replies

Jul 9, 2014 6:18 AM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

Since we are not allowed to speculate and Apple has not made an announcement, there is no need to discuss this occurrence. The forums were not available for several hours, that's all.

Of course, I keep forgetting that very good rule. I just call it UN-scheduled maintenance and mark you answered

CCC

-- Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. – Charles Schultz

Jul 27, 2014 2:26 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

That happens when the message has been deleted or altered by the admins, also when the ASC website falls flat on its face which is an almost daily occurrence.

Like everything with Apple lately it is being "improved" to the point of not working much of the time.

Must be a pleasant experience for those new users who are hitting endless problems with Apple's latest software only to find endless problems with Apple's support website.

Peter

Jul 27, 2014 3:41 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

PeterBreis0807 wrote:

That happens when the message has been deleted or altered by the admins, also when the ASC website falls flat on its face which is an almost daily occurrence.

Like everything with Apple lately it is being "improved" to the point of not working much of the time.

Must be a pleasant experience for those new users who are hitting endless problems with Apple's latest software only to find endless problems with Apple's support website.

Peter

Peter,

I am guesing you are addressing the "You are not allowed....." message (and the fact that I had responded to another victim). Falls flat... is the case for me. 1st time, just trying the [Post/Reply] button again worked fine. 2nd time, the post - posted despite the message. 😮

Agree that new users must be thrilled. Look up my first OP in Using ASC after the switch. I believe you are making the comparison if only in your mind.

best regards

CCC

Jul 27, 2014 6:52 PM in response to Allan Jones

Can you help me with this?

Not all my incoming mail messages are going to my home computer account. Some are derailed and end up in my inbox on my iphone only. My husband is waiting for a message to come through on the home computer and sometimes they end up on my iphone5 accounts. Yikes! He is not happy. Some messages come to my pc email and some only to my phone. But then, some come to both as they should. I need all mail to arrive at both home and on my iphone. I would so appreciate any help or advice given. Thank you! Iphone 5c IOS 7.1.2

Jul 28, 2014 9:16 AM in response to suzyfromredlands

You have a Windows machine then? And an iPhone?

I don't run Windows, but I'd expect it to be something that needs to be addressed on your computer/browser/email client settings and/or the phone. I really can't ask the hosts to move this thread because it already is where it should be, so it'd be best for you to start a thread in the iPhone forum:

Using iPhone

Jul 28, 2014 10:54 AM in response to suzyfromredlands

suzyfromredlands wrote:

No Mac. For my mail acccounts I use Yahoo and Outlook. My husband does not have a smartphone and finds (as I do) that some mail only goes to my iphone.

suzy...........

The only Apple product in the mix is the iPhone. You and your husband have a PC (Two?). Outlook on the PC is not responsible for routing your emails - to itself or to the iPhone - it is YahooMail, somehow.

Q: Do NOT put your email address here, BUT is this all related to the SAME email address? Do you & your husband share it? Do you have unique addresses? How many total email addresses are involved between you and your husband? <- email forwarding involved?

Q: Is it just one sender's messages misbehaving?

The answers may shed a new light on your issues.

Begin your investigation at YMail. If this is a NEW behavior, it is possible that somehow something changed regarding your Yahoo Mail preference settings. Human or some change in YMail (VERY possible).

YMail has many filters going on prior to an email even getting to your Inbox on YMail server - I am sure that YMail's method of filtering takes place "on the way" TO your Inbox - SPAM filtered messages, for instance, never gets to the Inbox folder or Inbox sub-folders. Apparently the SPAM folder somehow is not considered a part of the Inbox foldering tree by YMail. Entourage Outlook and iMail (and every Email Client used on every platform) retrieves messages from your Inbox on the server. I use Microsoft Entourage (Outlook's baby brother not allowed to play with knives) and it is clear that Entourage only retrieves what ends up OUTSIDE the SPAM folder, even though it visually appears to be an Inbox sub-folder (I have few filters routing emails to YMail folders - yet I still get those in Entourage).

Regarding the SPAM folder issue in particular, you might be worth a look in it in the Web Mail Client for those misbehaving messages. It might give you a clue. I have found that some emails get flagged by YMail as SPAM that are NOT - password reset email just this morning and in particular "all Failure to Deliver" messages from a SPECIFIC @domain.com. Could be your sender's @domain.com could be an issue.

My best guess at this mis-behavior is that a YMail filter is being applied to certain messages.

Yahoo Mail is the only common denominator, regardless of you folk's shared or unique email addresses. The iMail is not at fault nor is Outlook since they only retrieve from accounts you have set up in them. If you use the WebMail client, iMail or Outlook and read a message it is still in the server Inbox and the other clients are synced to get all messages that are 'unread' by it. i.e., read a message in iMail and Outlook doesn't know it has been read at all.

best of luck

CCC

Jul 28, 2014 11:33 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

Wow. Thank you Chitlins for your great message and response to my problem. We have only one PC and I have the only Apple product which is my iphone5c.

I have two email accounts; one is my Outlook (home/daily use account) and the other is a Yahoo account for using with craigslist and other companies that I don't want my home account to get bogged down with mail/advertising. So here is an example of what just happened:

One of our renters contacted us regarding an a/c issue he was having. This message never made it to the to the home computer Outlook inbox but did come through on my iphone Outlook inbox. And, this post you made to me did not come through on the PC mail but on my iphone.

Also, when I replied to the renter mentioned above, I get this message: Cannot Send Mail. A copy has been placed in your Outbox. The recipient was rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying. Again, I have replied to other messages with out this problem.

Whatcha think?

What happened this morning to ASC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.