Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad mini is completely dead. Button reset does not work. Will new battery fix it?

So a few months ago my ipad mini decided to die 1 month exactly out of warranty... convenient right? Anyway it was charging overnight and was fine when i set it down to sleep. Display and everything was fully functional. The next day i left alone charging, and I came home later to use it. Didnt turn on. tried the reset with the 2 buttons to no avail. Took it to apple and they said it was dead dead, and only offered a replacement.

Thing to mind here is that the charger i was using was somewhat faulty. It would sometimes rapidly charge and discharge due to a faulty connection. My thought is that maybe this started to happen and zapped the battery? Now with this as a possibility, would a completely new battery fix the issue? I could do the repair myself and I'm wondering if the effort is even worth it.

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 9:31 PM

7 replies

Jul 8, 2014 10:45 PM in response to PatM23

What did the Genius say at the Apple store? I would ask them if a repair is a possible solution. There are certified techs out there that can do the repairs. I once had a damaged antenna on my iphone (out of warranty-they offered a replacement) and I asked the genius if it was possible to fix it and he said yes. It took me a while to get the OEM parts from China, so yes, its possible, but I would ask the Genius first.

Be sure to tell the Genius that you have a faulty connection at home. If you can correct the faulty connection, fix it. If not is it possible to charge it somewhere else?

Jul 9, 2014 5:36 AM in response to James Jewell

I told them all the information. They did not want to say much else aside from recommending I purchase a refurb replacement for 219.99... They ran the diagnostics and everything for free which was surprising because I did not have apple care / warranty on it. Nice workers, but they were no help. Just sounded like they wanted money. I just think that maybe they were hesitant to say yes or no because If the ipad does not turn on it could be anything that is wrong.

Jul 9, 2014 7:04 AM in response to PatM23

If what you say is true, it may very well have zapped ALL the internals. Also note that if you chose the third-party route for a battery replacement, you will lose the ability to purchase a discounted replacement. Apple will not replace a device serviced by either you or a third-party.

Ask at another genius bar. In many cases, they may replace the iPad for $99 as a "battery replacement" rather than an "out of warranty" replacement which is the $219 you mentioned.

Jul 12, 2014 7:05 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

I understand what you said. I just cant afford paying another $100 dollars to replace something that was $300 and should work beyond a year... The cable shorting seems less likely as well because I've been use that same charger on my phone with no issues whatsoever. It only would do the charge/discharge thing if it was plugged in the wrong side, and is immediately noticeable. Don't think I made that mistake. If the $13 dollar battery doesn't solve it then its not a big loss. I jwas ust asking if it is a feasible fix.

Ipad mini is completely dead. Button reset does not work. Will new battery fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.