Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video chat won't connect!!!

I have a macbook pro running on Mavericks and I am trying to video chat with my girlfriend running on a brand new macbook air running on mavericks. She has an aim account, I have an icloud account. When she calls, I get her invite, but when I accept, the video chat doesn't connect. The invite remains, but the accept/decline/ignore bar disappears. Same situation for screenshares. When I try to call, she doesn't even get the invite, so I assume it's my computer that's problematic. I'd really appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 9:46 PM

3 replies

Jul 12, 2014 11:12 AM in response to dg1832

Hi,

Capabilities ?

User uploaded file

Network Status ?

User uploaded file

The Amber indicators in this pic are less important.

The Bandwidth one will go Amber as soon as you change the Preferences > Video Section > Bandwidth Limit to less than the "None" setting.

However of the listed speeds 500kbps will work for 4 Way video chats and the 200kbps will work for 1-1 video chats.

The Top pic may indicate lower speeds (elsewhere) if you do not have some functions.

The Router type can be one of four major types of NAT (Network Address Translation).

The indicator goes green for "Full Cone" but will work with other types of router settings.

However when the indicator is amber you may have to do more to set up the router side of things.

The Statistics pane may give a Log of Connection errors if you watch it during a connection.

The Error Log section itself mat list a reason a chat failed.

"No data for 10 Seconds" is a common one. This tends to indicate the router does not have the ports open.

From the other things you say her AIM and your iCloud ID both seem to be logged in to AIM.

This will mean you each appear in each others Buddy Lists (Use the Window Menu to Display)

User uploaded file

7:12 pm Saturday; July 12, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Video chat won't connect!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.