Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with mackeeperapp2 hijacking

Using OSX 10.9.3

I was researching websites on Safari. While reading an article about sites, I clicked on one that I thought would be appropriate. A new window opened trying to load mackeeperapp2.zeobit.com (which is not mentioned anywhere on the page I was reading) on top of that, a javascript window opened listing the above address and stating "Please consider cleaning your mac from junk." (Pretty sure that wasn't written by someone who speaks English) with a choice to click cancel or ok. I did neither. But I now have no control over Safari. I can quit Safari or force quit and open while holding down the shift key but both the original safari window (which is frozen) and the mackeeper window with the javascript open. I can not get into safari preferences. I tried logging out then logging back on while holding the shift key, but still if I open safari I get both windows. One forum suggested (for mackeeper - not mackeeperapp2) to go into my library folder and move the com.apple.safari.savedstate folder to the trash, but I cant figure out how to find the library and who knows if that would work since that is old information. It would be great to solve this problem without losing my bookmarks etc.

Thanks for you help!

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 10:29 PM

7 replies

Jul 8, 2014 10:39 PM in response to grngirl

Exposing the /Home/Library/ Folder

Pick one of the following methods:

A. This method will make the folder visible permanently. Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder and paste the following at the command prompt:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

Press RETURN.

B. Click on the Desktop, press the OPTION (⌥) button, select Library from the Finder's Go menu.

C. Select Go To Folder from the Finder's Go menu. Paste the following in the path field:

~/Library

Press the Go button.

You will find the Saved Application State folder in the /Home/Library/ folder.

The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide

How to Remove MacKeeper

Jul 8, 2014 11:48 PM in response to grngirl

Some of those scam pages can be dismissed very easily. Press command-W to close the tab or window. A huge box will pop up. Press the return key and both the box and the page will close. If that doesn't happen, continue.

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari ▹ Preferences... ▹ Security

and uncheck the box marked Enable JavaScript. Leave the preferences dialog open.

Close the malicious window or tab.

Re-enable JavaScript and close the preferences dialog.

If the Preferences menu item is grayed out, quit Safari. Force quit if necessary. Relaunch it by holding down the shift key and clicking its icon in the Dock. From the menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

to get rid of any cookies or other data left by the server. Open your Downloads folder and delete anything you don't recognize.

Jul 9, 2014 4:55 PM in response to grngirl

THIS IS GRNGIRL again. Had to log on as a different user because my husband logged on lastnight and I dont know his password, so this conversation is continuing with me as Ilisidi.

The malware has not been installed yet. So uninstall processes and removal tools arent helpful. I'm just afraid that if I click 'cancel' or 'ok' I will inadvertantly install mackeeperapp2. What I need to do is make Safari forget where I last was so that it opens fresh. I just learned about Time Machine back up - since I didnt know about it, it wasnt turned on. Is there any other way to reset the computer to a time before I was hijacked?

-I was able to find the library. With Safari opened, I was able to find the com.apple.safari.savedstate folder and remove it to the trash, and empty the trash. I then closed Safari and reopened it - but all of the windows opened again. (I could not find the saveState folder when Safari was closed)

-Command W did nothing

-Preferences are grayed out even with computer in safemode and Safari opened while holding the shift key

-I have not deleted cookies or cach or downloads yet

Jul 17, 2014 6:20 AM in response to grngirl

To keep the mackeeper page from ever bothering you again, you can enter this in the terminal (copy/paste):

sudo bash -c "echo 127.0.0.1$'\t'mackeeperapp2.zeobit.com>>/private/etc/hosts"

It will ask you for your password, then add mackeeperapp2.zeobit.com to your localhost list in your hosts file. After that, run this:

dscacheutil -flushcache;sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

to flush your cache. You will be asked to enter your password again.

You can test if this worked by then going to mackeeperapp2.zeobit.com in your web browser of choice.

It should say something like "cant connect to the server" if you have done everything correctly.

If it loads the webpage, then you did something wrong.

Help with mackeeperapp2 hijacking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.