Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Won't Connect/Boot in Diagnostic Mode

Hello

My ipod started not connecting to my Mac. The ipod says "connected/syncing" but the os and iTunes don't see it. It shows in the System Profiler under the usb tab that it's connected, but it doesn't mount. Disk Utility says it's connected but can't mount. Tried to run very disk, it errored and said "this disk needs to be repaired". Tried running the repair disk and again it errored, but this time saying "the disk cannot be repaired, backup data and reformat the disk". So, I then tried to boot the ipod in diagnostic mode, but it keeps booting normally. It's been running sluggish for a while and I fear the hdd is failing, but is there a way to fix this issue so I can back it up and run a restore?

I have already tried to connect it to another computer with the same results.

The weird part is it still runs/plays fine when not connected and I can access all my music/playlists.

Ideas??

iPod 160GB Classic

Mac OS 10.6.8

iTunes 11.2.2 (3)

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 10:28 PM

16 replies

Jul 15, 2014 3:39 AM in response to Music Luver

Music Luver wrote:

New question: if I remove the hard drive from ipod and plug it into a normal enclosure, would I be able to back up my data?

No, I don't think that will work. The files on the iPod are in an iPod format, which cannot be transferred back to iTunes.

It does sound as though your hard drive in the iPod is failing. But as for "backing up", do you not have all the music (that's on your iPod) in your iTunes Library? Then you would simply connect a new iPod to iTunes and let them Sync.

Jul 16, 2014 2:03 AM in response to Music Luver

I'm not sure I get this though. Do you still have the music on your computer? If so, that is your back up of the iPod, so use that.

Music Luver wrote:

...sometimes I edit the ID3 tags on the iPod not the original file.

How?

The only tag that can be changed on an iPod Classic is the song rating and a Sync would synchronise that change back to iTunes, but I think I'm correct in saying that the star rating assigned in iTunes (or on an iPod) is not contained within the file itself*. If you back up your iTunes Library, then the star ratings should be part of that backup. The only other "change" possible on a Classic is to add a song to an On-The-Go Playlists, but as above, being in a Playlist does not form part of the song's tags. Again, a back up of iTunes would store the Playlists as well.

Have you been using another programme (instead of iTunes) to manage your iPod?

Jul 17, 2014 1:27 AM in response to Music Luver

I manually manage my music so when I edit the file on ipod, only the one on ipod is edited, the file on the computer is unchanged. (As a side note, when manually manage music is enabled, all fields of ID3 tags are editable; song title, album title, artwork etc.) I don't use sync because my music is scattered in different places/computers. Plus some of it isn't even on the computers anymore. And I do use an ipod backup utility. But it only works if ipod is mounted; which mine won't do. (My last backup is old)

Maybe I'm not clear enough, but when I edit the id3 tags I'm using itunes to do it. Since most of the time I'm using ipod's playlists, (even within itunes) I edit the tags on ipod.

Jul 17, 2014 2:33 AM in response to Music Luver

Hhhmmm!

So what you are doing is looking at the iPod though your iTunes Library and changing the tags of the music on the iPod, is that correct?

That's all well and good, but if your iPod's hard drive fails (and as discussed, that looks as though it may be about to do so), is stolen or lost - then you lose everything that you have changed. You mention in your first post, that you had hoped to "fix the issue" and then backup and run a Restore. However, it's not that simple to back up from an iPod; your iTunes Library is the backup. Not only that, but a Restore will remove everything from the iPod and put back only what is in your Library. So once again, you will lose all those changes and your Playlists.

Jul 17, 2014 10:49 PM in response to the fiend

the fiend wrote:

So what you are doing is looking at the iPod though your iTunes Library and changing the tags of the music on the iPod, is that correct?

Precisely!

the fiend wrote:

...However, it's not that simple to back up from an iPod; your iTunes Library is the backup. Not only that, but a Restore will remove everything from the iPod and put back only what is in your Library. So once again, you will lose all those changes and your Playlists.

Yes I know, I have done multiple restores on this ipod during it's lifetime. I have a backup utility that I would use to periodically backup the ipod. I also have a way (although time consuming) of backing up the playlist content. However, all this requires ipod to be mounted. It's really my own fault, I procrastinated a little too long and now it's come back to bite me. 😟

Jul 18, 2014 12:06 PM in response to Music Luver

See Corrupt iPod classic. If you can find a disk rescue utility that will read the drive at low level you should be able to extract all of the data by brute force if necessary. I presume such tools are available for OS X. Otherwise you'll have to rely on what is in your "old" backup. 😮

There is probably a free tool if you're prepared to look hard enough, but generally things are free to download and will discover your recoverable data, at which point they usually want some money.

tt2

Jul 18, 2014 9:05 PM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2 wrote:

See Corrupt iPod classic. ...

Thanks, just can't get ipod to boot in diagnostic mode. 😟 Something's broke 😢

turingtest2 wrote:

..If you can find a disk rescue utility that will read the drive at low level you should be able to extract all of the data by brute force if necessary. I presume such tools are available for OS X. ...

There is probably a free tool if you're prepared to look hard enough, but generally things are free to download and will discover your recoverable data, at which point they usually want some money.

tt2

Looks like I'll be doing some serious digging, thanks for the help! 🙂

Jul 19, 2014 11:50 PM in response to Music Luver

Update: I've tried a few different apps, most of which either won't see ipod at all or freeze up. This last one sees ipod, but is taking forever to scan it. It's kind of weird though, the progress bar hasn't moved in 24hrs but there's these "analyse cylinder" numbers that are slowly climbing. It says: "Analyse cylinder 9104/39023510" No idea what that means but I assume it's doing something? Not looking too promising though... 😟

iPod Won't Connect/Boot in Diagnostic Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.