Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Find Drivers on USB Drive While Installing Windows 7

I'm so annoyed by this whole process. I have a Macbook Pro Retina, brand new, and I need Windows 7 installed pronto on bootcamp. Obviously I don't have an optical drive. I did install Parallels with a Windows 7 ISO downloaded directly from the microsoft website that installed perfectly and works perfectly, but it doesn't run smoothly with the apps I need to use so I need Bootcamp.

I've researched on here. I've tried both a Sandisk Cruzer USB2.0 thumb drive as well as the Sandisk Ultra USB3.0 drive. I've tried downloading, unzipping and putting the Bootcamp Support files directly on the USB with the windows iso called "WININSTALL" as well as a different USB thumbdrive that I formated to MS-DOS (FAT32). I cannot find the issue, but once I boot in to install windows, it says it can't find the drivers. Earlier I could get the keyboard and trackpad work, so using the Bootcamp Assistant I deleted everything and the partition and started over allowing the assistant to do everything (the 3 radio boxes were checked) but then it still doesnt find the frigging drivers. HELP me please! Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 11:14 PM

4 replies

Jul 9, 2014 3:26 PM in response to -djbolt-

Does no one know why its so difficult to get Bootcamp working on my $4000 Macbook Pro Retina? I had it working find on my late 2011 MBP but this less than 1 month old, top of the link MBP just wont find the drivers. I have since tried another thumb drive, downloaded a new ISO of Windows 7, and nothing gets me past the driver issue.

I'm beginning to wonder if Parallels has something to do with it?

Jul 9, 2014 10:51 PM in response to -djbolt-

Hey djbolt,

I have a similar problem installing Windows 7 Home Premium on a brand new iMac 27" via Bootcamp. I am using a retail DVD that worked perfectly on my previous iMac. I too have tried many times to install this. Whenever the installer reboots into Windows after the main installation, the mouse and keyboard stop responding and the screen resolution remains low - indicating that possibly none of the Apple drivers are installing.

I have spoken to tech support, but have not found the solution yet. Hopefully we will have a fix soon.

Cheers.

Jul 15, 2014 12:32 AM in response to -djbolt-

Hey djbolt,

Success! Finally got it working.

I was told by Apple support that new Macs that don't have built in DVD drives cannot complete Windows installation from the DVD directly. One must first create a disk image of the Windows install DVD (in Disk Utility), then merge this disc image with the boot camp drivers (done in Bootcamp) onto a USB flash drive.

These instructions refer to Windows 8, but the process is the same for Windows 7.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5373

Hope this helps.

Cannot Find Drivers on USB Drive While Installing Windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.