Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air won't recognize my hard drive!

I have a MacBook Air '11 and 500 WD Hard Drive that were working just fine. And suddenly, the laptop stopped recognizing the hard drive! I can't find the device under "Finder", however I can see it under "Disk Utility." I just tried the usb ports of the laptop with a USB drive, so the ports are working. Also, I believe that the cable is working since there is a light blinking on the hard drive. I'm worried that all the files in there are lost 😟 please help!

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 2:18 AM

12 replies

Jul 9, 2014 12:39 PM in response to Csound1

I didn't think that this would happen, so I never bother backing it up to another drive. I regret it 😟 I don't want to format it, I don't want to lose what's inside it. I wish there were another way? Please, help me!!!

This is what I got from the disk utility -
Disk Description: WD Elements 1023 Media
Connection Bus: USB
Connection Type: External
Serial Number: 575873...
Total Capacity: 500.11 GB
Write Status: Read/Write
SMART Status: Not Supported
Partition Map Scheme: GUID Partition Table
Mount: Point: Not Mounted
Format: Mac OS Extended

Jul 9, 2014 3:14 PM in response to Csound1

What is the Repair Disk, I mean, it wouldn't format the hard drive, right?
There is one thing I forgot to mention, I was deleting some stuff in the hard drive before that happened. One of the things was my MacBook Air backup, not sure if that affected it. Hope not!!!

P.S Thank you for helping me in this. I appreciate it!!!

Macbook Air won't recognize my hard drive!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.