Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer list empty

I was trying to install the scanner for the Brother MFC-9460CDN printer but it did not work.

I reset the printing system and tried to add the printer again via wifi hoping that the scanner would work after installing the brother scanner driver again. When I pressed add, no printers were showing up. I added the Brother printer via IP address but when I press print it said "printer in use".

I plugged in an ethernet cable and I am able to print but not via wifi.

Please may someone advise? 10.8.5 OSX

I am willing to install the operating system again. How do I do this if there are no other options?

Thank you.

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 2:29 AM

8 replies

Jul 9, 2014 6:42 AM in response to noprintershowing

Reset the printing system again, and don't attempt to run any scanning software. It's not required.

As of "Lion" and later versions of OS X all scanning functions are incorporated natively in OS X.

You can scan three ways:

• Use Preview: File > Import from scanner
  • Use Image Capture

(Preview and Image Capture are both in your Applications folder.)

• System Preferences > Print & Scan. Select your device and use the Scan tab.

Jul 9, 2014 7:04 AM in response to noprintershowing

That isn't a wireless printer.

Connect its Ethernet cable to your router, either directly or through a switch. Don't connect it directly to your Mac.

On the printer's front panel go to Settings > All Settings > Network > Wired LAN. The terminology used may be different for your printer.

I suggest specifying a static IP address, since it will always reside at that address regardless of other devices on your network. You will need to specify that address in the Brother's front panel's Setup menu. The terminology they use is "BOOT method > Static".

Then, add it in System Preferences > Print & Scan.

Add it as an IP printer by following these instructions:

OS X Mountain Lion: Set up an IP printer

Printer list empty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.