Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot selectively restore data from backup

So that's it.

A friend of mine performed a backup of her phone, before switching to a newer phone, however once she attempted to restore to the newer one, iTunes failed as the backup is too big to fit to the newer phone (has lower capacity).

So what? Apparently at Apple the dudes completely ignore the option to enable selective restores......

No wonder, the smartest phones in the world!

Now seriously.

Is there a tool to shrink down data from the backup, to allow a partial restore?

Windows platform

Thanks for helping

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 2:18 AM

5 replies

Jul 9, 2014 8:57 AM in response to Blutarsky

Blutarsky wrote:

So that's it.

A friend of mine performed a backup of her phone, before switching to a newer phone, however once she attempted to restore to the newer one, iTunes failed as the backup is too big to fit to the newer phone (has lower capacity).

So what? Apparently at Apple the dudes completely ignore the option to enable selective restores......

No wonder, the smartest phones in the world!

Now seriously.

Is there a tool to shrink down data from the backup, to allow a partial restore?

Windows platform

Thanks for helping

It isn't Apples responsibility to backup user's phone, that would fall on the user - your friend. -

Also Apple doesn't do backup to iTunes at the store, they would direct you to backup to icloud.

If your friend failed to buy a phone that matches her/his old phone that is your friends fault not Apple.

There is no tool to shrink backup.

Why not purchase a phone that matches the same GB so he/she can use their backup?

Jul 10, 2014 2:49 AM in response to razmee209

Mate,

whatever backup software I have used in the past, selective/partial restore option is mandatory. Even the simplest backup/restore software has such an option.

Apple developers could have enabled an option to selectively restore: pictures, music, contacts, whatsapp messages, and so forth.

Why did they choose to offer users such a poor and strict restore option?

Jul 10, 2014 9:37 AM in response to Blutarsky

Blutarsky wrote:

Mate,

whatever backup software I have used in the past, selective/partial restore option is mandatory. Even the simplest backup/restore software has such an option.

Apple developers could have enabled an option to selectively restore: pictures, music, contacts, whatsapp messages, and so forth.

Why did they choose to offer users such a poor and strict restore option?

There is no poor option.

Why would your friend buy a phone that didn't match their backup. Why didn't they do an icloud backup and only selected the items they wanted if they knew they were going to buy lower GB phone than the one they originally had.

Stop blaming Apple they have done nothing from.

In the IT field we like to call this EUE.

Cannot selectively restore data from backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.