Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.9.4 NetRestore Image not restoring on different Mac's

Hello

I am having problems with my NetRestore Image restoring to all the various iMac's on the college campus.

The Image was made the same way i have always been making them since 10.4

Install OS X 10.9.3 on a reference iMac (The newest we have) up dating with the combo updater to 10.9.4 and connecting it to my 10.9.4 workstation to create an image. Then upload to the 10.9.4 server to deploy.

The reference iMac was a 12,1 i5 this image would not restore a 12,1 i3 or 7,1 core duo, I than created a new image in a 9,1 core duo which wouldn't restore 8,1 and 7,1 core duo then i created a image on a 8,1 core duo which restored two 7,1 core duo's but not two identical 7,1 Core duo iMacs

Its seems very random as to what iMac an image will restore.

Any one had problems like these.

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 2:59 AM

15 replies

Jul 9, 2014 11:46 PM in response to Mick_2010

Sure. Here is the reference:

OS X Server: Creating a single NetBoot, NetInstall or NetRestore image for multiple Macs

--------------------

Important: Even if the computer you are imaging has the latest version of OS X installed, you must update it using the latest version of the installer to create an image that supports multiple Macs. You can redownload the installer by pressing and holding the Option key while you click the Purchases tab in the Mac App Store application.

-----------------------

This precludes using Combo update.

I don't like it either. :-)

Jul 10, 2014 2:43 AM in response to piperspace

piperspace wrote:

Sure. Here is the reference:

OS X Server: Creating a single NetBoot, NetInstall or NetRestore image for multiple Macs

--------------------

Important: Even if the computer you are imaging has the latest version of OS X installed, you must update it using the latest version of the installer to create an image that supports multiple Macs. You can redownload the installer by pressing and holding the Option key while you click the Purchases tab in the Mac App Store application.

-----------------------

This precludes using Combo update.

I don't like it either. :-)

The same article you link to says the following

Important: Even if the system you are imaging has the latest version of Mac OS X version installed, you must update it using the combo update in order to create an image that supports multiple Macs. You can manually download and re-install the latest combo updater from Apple Support Downloads before creating an image.

I interpret both statements to mean that if you buy a hypothetical new Mac e.g. a new model MacBook that comes with OS X 10.9.5 and 10.9.5 was already released while it may be the same version number, the 10.9.5 that came with the hypothetical new MacBook will be a newer build. Therefore to produce a version that supports multiple models including this hypothetical new MacBook you either have to use the combo update which would cover all models up to the time in this hypothetical scenario that 10.9.5 was released but not models with newer builds released afterwards including our hypothetical new MacBook model, or you have to download and re-run the full Mavericks installer (all ~5GB of it) which will always be the very latest build at the time of downloading and will therefore cover even this hypothetical new MacBook.

So it depends on timing and models. Moving back to reality at this point in time 10.9.4 is newer than all Mac models released so far. Therefore I would further interpret this to mean that the combo 10.9.4 update would cover all Mac models currently able to run Mavericks.

Jul 10, 2014 8:22 AM in response to John Lockwood

You are correct in stating:

I interpret both statements to mean that if you buy a hypothetical new Mac e.g. a new model MacBook that comes with OS X 10.9.5 and 10.9.5 was already released while it may be the same version number, the 10.9.5 that came with the hypothetical new MacBook will be a newer build.

The rest of it is incorrect. It is not possible to create a 10.9.5 image that will support all older models and the new MacBook. The only way do do that is to wait for 10.9.6 to come out, which will support all existing machines. This has always been the case, and has not changed.

Prior to 10.7, combo updates included information that allowed the OS install Packages to be "updated" to include the differences between the old and new systems. This was a very cumbersome process and made the combo updater much larger and slower than the delta updates. That support was dropped with the advent of the Install OS X application in 10.7.

When you run an updater (combo or delta) it updates the OS on the machine, but does not update the Recovery HD. So, if you start with 10.9, and combo/delta upgrade it to 10.9.5, you still have a 10.9.0 Recovery HD. That Recovery HD is an integral piece of the imaging process (you boot into it), so if it is out of date, your image will not work.

Jul 11, 2014 3:14 AM in response to Brian Nesse

I have an update, I do need to test it a little more but the signs are good.

The images I created were 10.9.4 with internet plugins, iworks apps and MS Office, then a image with Adobe CC Web Design Premium added (created using adobe Creative Cloud Packager).

The Basic Image (without CC) installed on all Macs, the image was created with a iMac 12,1 i5 the image was able to build all other iMac's, then when CC was added to the image the non 12,1 iMacs would not build.

I Then Created and image based on my Basic image and added CS6 (which I was previously using in all the other images I made for 10.6 and 10.8) and it works on all the different iMacs.

I know it doesn't make any sense at all, I don't see why CC would affect an image, but it seems to.

I will keep testing as I have only used the image on two iMac 8,1 CoreDuo's two iMac 7,1 CoreDuo's and one iMac 12,1 i3 which the image with 10.9.4 and CC previously failed to build.

Jul 11, 2014 9:29 AM in response to piperspace

Well it's just all become irrelevant, those idiots at apple have gone and broken windows file sharing with smb2.

When a new AD account is created and the user logs in for the first time on a mac with Maverick installed, the home directory permissions get completely messed up and the user can't access any of there home directory including there library folder. Do the same thing with a 10.6 or 10.8 Mac and it's fine, then if you log on to 10.9 after previously logging on to a 10.8 Mac it works ok because the permission were already set correctly in 10.8

Apple really need to sort themselves out, working on macs these days is nothing but aggravation.

10.9.4 NetRestore Image not restoring on different Mac's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.