Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro with Retina 13" Late 2013 thunderbolt port broken after 10.9.4 update

One of Thunderbolt Port (near USB port) was broken after 10.9.4 update.

I usually use mini Display Port to Display Port cable to connect my external screen, it works fine before 10.9.4 update. After 10.9.4 update, I tried to connect the external screen with the same cable, and the main screen of my MacBook Pro with Retina Display twinkling once so I'm sure the external screen was identified, but no video signal output.

I went to local Apple Premium Reseller (there is no Apple Store in Taiwan) and the they told me all of Thunderbolt Port was fine, they test with their own 10.9.2 copy and it seems ok. After that, I tried to re-install 10.9.4, downloading directly from Apple, the system re-install progress was complete but the Thunderbolt Port issue still there.

I connect to the broken Thunderbolt Port with Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter, and it works fine, so I believe the only problem is that there is no video signal output from the Thunderbolt Port (near USB port one).

What should I do now?

Model: MacBook Pro with Retina 13" Late 2013

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 3:26 AM

3 replies

Jul 11, 2014 3:13 AM in response to WilliamTai

I can confirm that problem, too: Im' working with a Dell U2713HM display, connected via display port. Since 10.9.4 Update i'm experiencing random black screens and/or display going to energy saving mode. Today i've had this issue twice: Display going black and after disconnecting the macbook von all cables screen of the macbook remaining black. Holding Power Button for about 10 s restarts the macbook. After 5 minutes the same problem appeared again.

MacBook Pro with Retina 13" Late 2013 thunderbolt port broken after 10.9.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.