Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My eyes strain badly with the new iMac display - 2014

I recently bought a 2013 iMac 14.2 to replace my 2007 iMac 7.1.

I immediately noticed that my eyes were straining very badly in front of the new screen. No matter how I tweak the adjustments, I can't bear to look at the screen long enough to do any significant work.

Since I still have the old iMac in the same room, I can easily compare by just switching desks. With the old one, no problem. The moment I sit in front of the new screen, my eyes start aching and watering. It's not a question of contrast, brightness, or any adjustable parameters that I'm aware of.

I checked on the Net, and a significant number of other people report the same type of issues. I have not found any solution, nor any explanation.

I remember that in the days of the CRT monitors on PCs, I had to adjust the refresh rate as high as possible in order to avoid headache and eye strain. Anything 60Hz or below was unbearable.

Is there a similar issue with the LED backlighting?

Does anyone have an in-depth knowledge of the specificities of LED-backlit screens, such as wavelength, variation in light intensity/flickering/refresh rate, etc.?

There is a technical explanation and - hopefully - solution, and it's not "all in your head", "get glasses", "blink twice and stare at the opposite wall for one minute"...

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 5:02 AM

There are no replies.

My eyes strain badly with the new iMac display - 2014

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.