Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

highlighting text won't stay on

When I highlight text it often won't stay on, and when it does and I try to move the selection, it just beeps at me and sits there. What's up?

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 6:16 AM

5 replies

Jul 9, 2014 9:38 AM in response to VikingOSX

I obviously didn't make myself clear. I have used Pages for several years with no problem but the past few days I often have not been able to move or delete any blocks of text. When I select the material (what I called highlighting) it often will not accept the selection indicator color or lose it immediately. Other times it will show the indicator color but I won't be able to either delete it or move it. It really makes doing word processing difficult!

Jul 9, 2014 10:28 AM in response to hbirkie

Ok. In System Preferences > General, Apple applies the term “Highlight” instead of “Selection” color.

In Pages v5(.2), I select a passage of text and it reflects my first sentence color setting. You can leave this alone and visit any menu or side panel setting, and the selection in the body text will remain selected. It will remain selected, if you leave the Pages document and click in another application. When you return to this Pages document, click anywhere but the body text to regain document focus. The next click in the body text should be a click/hold/drag on the selection to move it, or a press of the space bar to remove the selected text. This is mouse-based behavior.

If you are using a Trackpad, whether built-in or external, you must be very careful not to brush against it while in your Pages document, or your selection focus will be lost.

I am using the above Pages on OS X 10.9.4 and do not experience a loss of selection, or an inability to drag/move or remove the selection. I have tried with both mouse and Trackpad following the preceding guidelines and cannot reproduce what you have stated.

Jul 9, 2014 6:51 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for your efforts to help. I really think my computer needs some going over to correct this as this behavior only began a few weeks ago. I live in a rural area with a weak signal and so must go into an Apple store in town to download any updates. I am using a desktop OSX 10.8.5 and Pages 09 4.3. That will be my next step.

highlighting text won't stay on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.