Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is GarageBand iOS 2.0.1 compatible with Logic Pro 9.1.8?

I run Logic Pro 9.1.8 on a Mac Pro 1,1 (Snow Leopard 10.6.8) and GarageBand 2.0.1/ iOS (7) on the iPad2. The songs are built on the iPad, then opened in Logic on the Mac. This worked like a charm until recently when the iPad was updated w/ the new GB. Used to just click on the ".band" file, exported from the iPad to the Mac via iTunes, and it would open in Logic (the only audio software on the Mac), but now it asks me to save the file instead of opening it. Then when trying to open the newly saved GB version in Logic you either get a blank arrange screen or Logic crashes and says it needs to be updated.

9.1.8 the latest version of Logic Pro 9, so is it asking me to get Logic 10? If so, it would seem that I need a new Mac as mine is 32-bit and Logic 10 is 64-bit.

Does Apple keep the GB and LP versions concurrent? Meaning that the current GarageBand is compatible w/ the current Logic Pro? The least expensive solution might be to go back to the 8 track GB for iOS, but how can I do that? I do not have that purchase on my app store account any more as it was purchased from a different account that I no longer have access to.

I don't ever remember having to first save the file in LP9 and then check a bunch of boxes in the Advanced section when saving it, but this does work to open the old files (8 track version of GB iOS) . So, I tried again w/ the new GB files (16 track version of GB) and Logic crashed again and said the file was "created on a different version of Logic" please update Logic. With no more updates for Logic Pro 9, it wants LP 10? Which I can't do bc of the specs of my computer.

Your thoughts and ideas are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you.

Mac Pro 1.1 (June 2007)

2x Quad Core 2.66 Ghz Intel Xeon

16 GB RAM

(2) HD's

Audio Drive: WD Caviar Black

Logic 9.1.8

Snow Leopard 10.6.8

iPad2 w/ GarageBand 2.0.1/ iOS 7

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 7:47 AM

3 replies

Aug 26, 2014 6:54 AM in response to skyhijoe

Garageband 2.0 to Logic Pro 9.1.8 (solution?)

Hi Lee here in reference to the above problem ...i have a similar setup but use a desktop with the iPad .

i also have an iMac which is not used for music. On this there is garageband 10 and Maverick OS.

i Have exported individual tracks from garageband into wav files.

I am aware many with this compatibility issues may not have Maverick or GB 10, on another system.

However this workaround, not ideal has helped me to complete my projects.

If you are able to do this......

1 change track into .wav files (from Garageband)

2 import wav into logic 9

3 in Logic you have the (audio to score) facility

4 make an instrument track ( i normally do this below the audio track of the file)

5 when i convert audio to score it seems that you automatically will create the midi data of the audio track

6 find the appropiate sound for the track (you may need to change the sounds anyway)

the iPad is there to let me compose away from my home studio.

All this has added to the workflow but its a start to keep the project working.

PS I am really disappointed that Apple cannot give this loyal customer an easy solution.

e.g the option to get Garageband 1.4 back on my iPad.

(Spending £2000.00 on a new system is not an option.)

Hope this helps Lee

Aug 26, 2014 8:01 AM in response to Letangocat

Hi Lee,

Thank you. That is a great work around! Yes, where is 1.x that I paid for? Exactly! That would have helped immensely.

I tried to get Garageband iOS 1.x, but could not. Contacted Apple and they said I could book a service call w/ their technical department for about $30USD! For a $5 app that I already paid for?! Are they serious?! I don't even think (even after the $30) they could have done anything. I know, it was just a poor customer service rep and they are just following protocol. I even thought of trading my iPad to someone who hadn't updated their iOS. Then I should have seen the old GB (compatible w/ the old iOS 1.x) in the app store.

My work around:

- Bought a used 2008 64-bit Mac Pro tower on eBay ($700USD w/ shipping).

- Installed Mavericks and GB (free)

- Paid for Logic X ($200)

My 2007 Mac Pro is for sale on eBay! I won't get all of the $ back, but will get some.

Imported my first GB iOS 2.0.1 into Logic X - it wouldn't open! Yet another download was needed for compatibility. So, I just opened the iOS song in GB on the Mac Tower w/ Mavericks. Saved the file in GB then opened it in Logic X. I did download the 1 billion gigs for compatibility for LPX, but have yet to try it. So long as GB does the job, it only takes a few extra secs.

I now have access to LPX Session drummer, which is pretty cool. Sometimes your original beats can work better for the song, but session drummer can help w/ fills, mixing and "real drummer" feel sometimes. Now I combine my ideas w/ theirs. One can even take the orig iPad created drum track and use it as a loop along w/ Session Drummer (which can be a bit more of a live drummer feel).

I too write on the iPad when on the road then dump to the Mac Pro Tower when I get home. I had tried a MIDI device to dump the data from the iPad to the Mac. Didn't work. Spent hours researching which software to use for MIDI. Time is $ so I shelled out the dough. They got me! Sort of 😉 I didn't buy a new Mac. I'm selling a whole bunch of old studio gear, that I don't use anyway, to make up the difference in cost.

Thanks for your input. This is my 2 cents. I could write a book about this experience!

Is GarageBand iOS 2.0.1 compatible with Logic Pro 9.1.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.