Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flashing Folder with Question Mark, Disk Utility Grayed Out

I was working on my macbook pro when it appeared to freeze, so I manually shut it down by pressing the power button. When I pressed it again to restart the computer, the restart "chime" sounded, and a flashing folder with a question mark appeared shortly after. The folder flashes for a few minutes, and the macbook turns off again. After consulting the internet, I restarted while holding command+r, and the computer told me to reconnect to the internet, select a language, and so on. When I reached the menu giving me choices for how to recover my information, I discovered that there were apparently no time machine backups recognized and when I tried to use the "first aid" option in Disk Utility, all of the action buttons are grayed out when I select the drives (I'm running OS X Mavericks) at the left, including the "Verify" option at the top. Is there anything I can do? I really would rather not restore a new version of OS X to preserve my information.

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 7:33 AM

4 replies

Flashing Folder with Question Mark, Disk Utility Grayed Out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.