Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes movies metadata reset after download

For a variety of reasons I sometimes find it necessary to change the metadata for movies and TV shows that I've downloaded from iTunes: change genre, remove dates from titles, group sequential films in a trilogy, etc. However, when I download a new movie, many of those changes are reset to the original metadata. Simply clicking on Get Info for a movie solves the problem, i.e. I don't have to edit it again, but going through my entire library, finding and clicking on Get Info for every effected movie takes ages. Is there any way to set the metadata in stone? Or failing that is there one simple fix once the metadata has been reset?

- I use the latest version of iTunes on the latest OS on a MacBook Pro. My library is stored on an external hard drive (WD Studio) via Airport Extreme (older version).

Thank you.

AB

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 8:32 AM

Others have commented about this in connection with the new iTunes. For some reason it under given scenarios it seems to use an (internal?) reference to check with Apple's servers about metadata. It then changes the data in the iTunes library but if you have edited the metadata the copy stored in the file itself remains what you set and can be recovered. You can use a script to do this, but it is slow and a nuisance.

AppleScript: Refresh Selected iTunes Tags - http://marv.kordix.com/archives/000860.html

Send feedback to Apple:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2014 8:32 AM in response to AB333

Others have commented about this in connection with the new iTunes. For some reason it under given scenarios it seems to use an (internal?) reference to check with Apple's servers about metadata. It then changes the data in the iTunes library but if you have edited the metadata the copy stored in the file itself remains what you set and can be recovered. You can use a script to do this, but it is slow and a nuisance.

AppleScript: Refresh Selected iTunes Tags - http://marv.kordix.com/archives/000860.html

Send feedback to Apple:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Jul 9, 2014 8:42 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks a lot for taking the time to address this, Limnos. I've been looking for similar threads but only found a one or two that were hardly relevant. I'm not very familiar with scripts but I'll certainly give it go, as it would be a relief to get it fixed once and for all.

As you suggest, I'll also send feedback via the link to Apple. I can't think why they'd leave this kind of thing unresolved - it really puts you off buying anything new.

All the best,

AB

Jul 10, 2014 5:47 AM in response to AB333

it would be a relief to get it fixed once and for all.

It doesn't resolve the situation. It recovers your edits until the next time iTunes checks back to Apple's servers.

As you suggest, I'll also send feedback via the link to Apple. I can't think why they'd leave this kind of thing unresolved - it really puts you off buying anything new.

Maybe it will be resolved on the by-and-by when the next iTunes iteration eventually comes out. That's how similar issues have been resolved in the past. Yes, people complain about it here once or twice a day but the forum is not flooded with complaints so that suggests to me there is some specific configuration causing this.

Is it really only brand new purchases affected and not old ones? (I have no iTunes purchases and run an older iTunes version, so I don't see any of this.)

Jul 10, 2014 6:00 PM in response to Limnos

Hi Limnos

It sounds like I'll just have to wait and hope for the best with the next iteration of iTunes. It really is poor service, as there must be hundreds of annoyed and frustrated customers for every one that goes to the trouble of posting complaints - and I don't think my set-up is particularly uncommon.

To answer your question, any new purchase resets the metadata of a selection of previous purchases - or all previous purchases. I haven't been able to work out any clear pattern as to which get changed; it's not the newest, oldest, most recently edited, most recently fixed, largest/smallest files etc. It could be one or two that get affected but usually it's a lot more than that. So when I'm sitting there thinking, Hey Groundhog Day for £5!, I'm also thinking about the half hour or so its going to take going through my library, individually clicking on Get Info to get things back the way I want them.

Of course, if iTunes actually paid a little more attention to the metadata in the first place, then at least there would be less reason to tinker with it. But they can't even get set the Godfather trilogy to display in the right order, alien and super hero movies are typically set as Action and Adventure rather than Sci-fi and Fantasy (although the X-Men films can be either) and a classic thriller like Three Days of the Condor is apparently a romance!

Thanks for all your help and wise advice. At least I won't waste my time expecting much from iTunes in the near future. After Yosemite perhaps - we'll see. Or perhaps there's another filing/library system that might be more stable.

All the best,

AB

Jul 10, 2014 6:12 PM in response to AB333

Same thing here.

I've purchased a fair number of movies and change the meta-data on all of them. At a minimum I add the year to the title (e.g. "Wizard of Oz (1939)"). I often change the genre too because of Apple's Orwellian (anyone remember the 1984 Think Different ad?) choice to not recognize "War" as a genre etc.

As with you, periodically (when I download?) Apple reverts the metadata and all my changes disappear for purchased movies. My suspicion is that it has to do with conflicting titles in the iCloud sync process. Sounds like a good excuse but I would imagine Apple has the resources to solve it if they so choose - especially given the workaround that works for me.

The solution I've been using is to create a smart playlist folder that finds all purchased movies that don't have "(" in the title. Anything that shows up in this list has been changed by Apple. What's interesting is how to revert back to my changes - simply do a "Get Info" on the title and the info in the library instantly reverts to my changed version and it disappears from the playlist without me making any other changes.

Thanks for the script tip - I'll take a look.

PS - You have to do the Get Info one at a time for each title - bulk doesn't work

PPS - This has been going on for much longer than any current iTunes version. Probably on the order of 2 years or so for me.

Jul 11, 2014 4:43 AM in response to Steven Wagner1

Hi Steven

Glad to know I'm not alone with this. Thanks for the tip re. your workaround - I'll give it a go. Feel like I've tried just about everything else.

As you say, this has been going for longer than the most recent iteration of iTunes, so perhaps we shouldn't expect a fix with the next. Of course, one possible solution is to avoid purchasing movies from iTunes in the first place, as I've never had any problem with a movie I've ripped, tagged and imported.

Personally, I tend to remove dates from titles more often than I add them. I can see why they're useful distinctions for the iTunes store but if I've only got one movie with that title (and haven't even heard of another), I don't see why I'd need the date in the title of my copy. But the point is that we should have the ability to set basic metadata however it works best in our own libraries, especially when metadata from iTunes is such a mess. After all, why bother having a feature like 'Search by genre' if the movies it brings up are in the wrong category?

Agreed, it's bizarre that 'War film' isn't set as a genre, especially as they do include 'Western'. I guess it could be argued that they're both typically sub genres of 'Action & Adventure' but then why one and not the other?

Unfortunately, it seems in this case 'Big Brother' isn't watching - listening or understanding the issue!

All the best,

AB

Jul 11, 2014 4:09 PM in response to AB333

They read theses posts so they know about this issue. My guess is this is something that if fixed we'd read in the update "...affects a small number of iTunes users...". But since it's been going on so long it seems unlikely they'll choose to fix it.

Agreed on the "don't purchase" option. I've got hundreds of movies and somewhere around 200 are from iTunes so when this happens - like it did for 89 movies in the last couple hours - it's a real pain. I'm really leaning to going back to ripping purchased DVDs - it's more work but when you're done you're done and you have a file that's useable outside iTunes and Apple can't mess with it.

I just tried the AppleScript linked above and it works great. Unless you're familiar with AppleScript disregard the ReadMe regarding putting it in a Library folder and open from iTunes. You need to run it manually. Select the titles affected and then run the script. It just cleaned up those 89 titles pretty quickly. It's basically just doing the "Get Info" but at least with the script you can do it as a batch vs one at a time.

The point is that there is no such thing as "right" metadata. It's extremely subjective which is the reason we search via Google now and not the old Yahoo navigation method ("Entertainment > Movies > ......" - showing my age here). Apple's own structure is internally inconsistent. If you start at "Sci-Fi" you'll find sub-categories of "Thriller" and "Horror" which are also their own top level categories. There's a top level genre called "Classics" - same issue. Apple has no business modifying the metadata in my library. If they don't want it to change then why is editing allowed (keep you're fingers crossed...). I really do find it odd that "War" is so prominently missing. It's not like it's a fringe category - one just needs to look at IMDB for evidence. Regardless of why they choose to do it though the point is they should not be imposing their way of thinking on me after the purchase. But they do and will continue to. So with that little rant behind me I'm outta here...

Cheers

Jul 29, 2014 12:39 PM in response to Steven Wagner1

Had to pop back here to say that I've now also used the Apple Script suggested Limnos above and it's been very helpful. As Steven Wagner1 points out, it doesn't fix the problem but it does make getting your metadata back in order a lot quicker and easier after making a purchase from iTunes. If you've been clicking around threads and stumbled across this one, then please give it a try. Don't worry if you're unfamiliar with scripts - it's a lot easier than you might imagine and the instructions are included in the download.

All the best,

AB

Jul 29, 2014 8:14 PM in response to AB333

Yes - it does work and has saved me a lot of grief. I've actually modified it to make it even easier. I'm going to try to paste in the script here but am not sure Apple will let it through. The way I identify tracks that have metadata corrupted by Apple is to add a special character ( "|" ) at the end of the "sort name". When Apple corrupts the metadata that character disappears. I have a standard playlist to which I add all tracks with metadata that I've modified and a smart playlist that looks for any tracks in that playlist but don't have the "|" in the "sort name". Anything in that playlist has been corrupted by Apple. This scripts fixes the tracks in that playlist.

Here's the script. If Apple doesn't let it through I'm not going to be posting or emailing it. Thanks much to the original author.

Cheers,

Steve

-----

(*

Refresh Selected Tags v1.0

June 6, 2006 (yes, that's 6/6/06)

http://marv.kordix.com

Modifed 25 Jul '14 by Steve

Does not require tracks be pre-selected

Instead it touches all tracks in special smart playlists.

Those playlists are setup to only contain tracks with metadata that I changed but Apple subsequently corrupted

Corrupted tracks identified by those missing a special character "|" that I added to the "sort name"

Created 3 playlists to test this. This script lets you select which one to check

If the selected playlist is not empty is will tell you how many there are and ask if you want to continue

If the playlist is empty the only option is to quit

This is rough code but it works

Next update will be to run this automatically on a schedule

Tip on how to do that here

http://www.peachpit.com/blogs/blog.aspx?uk=Mac-Productivity-Scheduling-AppleScri pts

*)

tell application "iTunes"

set initialFI to fixed indexing

set fixed indexing to true

set whichList to button returned of (display dialog "Which playlist?" buttons {"Edited Metadata", "Prot Movie No (", "Missing |"} default button 3)

set thePlayList to user playlist whichList

set numtracks to count of tracks of thePlayList

if numtracks < 1 then

(* quit *)

beep 1

set answer to button returned of (display dialog "NumTracks < 1" buttons {"Quit"} default button 1)

else

beep 1

set question to display dialog (numtracks as text) & " Tracks. Proceed?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1

set answer to button returned of question

if answer is equal to "Yes" then

set SelectedTracks to every track of thePlayList

repeat with CurrentTrack in SelectedTracks

if CurrentTrack's class is file track then

tell CurrentTrack

refresh CurrentTrack

end tell

end if

end repeat

end if

end if

set fixed indexing to initialFI

if answer is equal to "Yes" then

beep 1

display dialog "Finished Refresh" buttons {"Quit"} default button 1

end if

end tell

Aug 8, 2014 8:50 AM in response to AB333

My "skills" are from 20+ years ago and only useful due to the ability to research which is how I came up with the above.

A very good place to find Applescript info for iTunes is

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/

Glad the original works best for you - no need to make things any more complicated than they need to be. I prefer the update because for me the number of tracks can be quite large and running this script tells me right away if any are affected. For the past week I'd run it at night with nothing then yesterday it came back saying over 500 were corrupted which the script fixed. I ran it again just now and about 50 needed fixing. Go figure - just Apple's way of thanking us for using their store. I've come to the conclusion that it's not triggered by a download alone. Just buying something on the store seems to trigger it also (as it did for me yesterday). I am going to get rid of the dialog at the end though so that I can let it run without waiting for it to finish to dismiss the dialog which was mostly for debugging anyway.

I think this is a close to "fixing" this problem as we're ever going to get. It would be less annoying if I could believe there's a good reason Apple chooses not to fix it - say something like "We check your library for available downloads and need the original name to do that" but anyone who knows about databases etc can tell you the name of the entry is irrelevant - a separate ID for each entry is used that's not affected by the metadata.

Guess that just about wraps things up.

Regards,

Steve

Aug 8, 2014 10:20 AM in response to Steven Wagner1

I don't think the script was written to address this issue. I use the script occasionally but that is because I also use a third party editor to change ID3 tags and I use it to get them to update in iTunes since iTunes will not otherwise notice they have been changed. I just remembered having it and could see it application here too which is why I recommended it.

I don't think this particular problem of tags reverting has existed for years. I have been on this forum for well on a decade now and I do not recall this being an issue until the last few months.

Oct 17, 2015 7:38 AM in response to AB333

I know this thread is over a year old, but I'm so thankful to have found it. I haven't really done much altering of meta data of purchased iTunes content until recently. I first started tinkering after downloading some multi-episode Top Gear specials; for which if you keep iTunes meta data, the episodes all end up jumbled under Series: Top Gear/Season: No Season and nothing's in order, so I tinkered with the meta data to organize the episodes of each special. This was about a year ago and I had noticed iTunes reorganizing them on me, but didn't think too much of it as it was just a few titles, nor did I really make the connection back then that it happened when making purchases from the iTunes Store.

More recently, however, I've been buying a lot of Doctor Who specials and Classic Doctor Who specials. And like the Top Gear specials I bought last year, if I leave the iTunes meta data, everything's a complete and utter mess and it's impossible to find anything and watch the episodes sequentially (a must as classic Doctor Who is all multi-episode stories. So now, I'm really noticing the problem of the iTunes Store resetting the tags a lot more,

Thus I am very pleased to have found this thread. Now I can really classify the Dr Who episodes properly and use the script when iTunes Store messes them up.

Btw, I'm still using iTunes 11 (didn't actually upgrade from 10 until 12 was already out as I didn't like they way 11 initially displayed TV series). I did try 12, but had to revert to 11 after seeing 12 classify all my ripped content as "Home Movies" instead of "Movies" and "TV Series" (don't know if they've remedied this yet…not ready to try). So I don't know, either, if 12 fixes the problem raised by this thread (although, given my brief experience with 12, I'm thinking 'no').

Cheers!

iTunes movies metadata reset after download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.