Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5c volume control is erratic; it turns itself down at irregular times, even during a phone call. I cannot hear it ring OR hear what the caller is saying!! Help!!

I have had an iPhone 5c for a little over a year now. I have had no problems with it at all until about 2 months ago. The ringer turns itself down at irregular intervals and even during some phone calls. I have to keep turning the volume back up just to hear what the caller is saying. This is extremely annoying. I have missed quite a few text messages and phone calls due to this issue.

It is NOT my iPhone case; I have had the case as long as I've had the phone, and this was never a problem until 2 months ago. Also, the phone does the same thing whether it is in a case or naked and out of the case.

I have tried the "old fix" of going into Settings and Music and making sure the Volume was set to OFF; in any case, it is set to MAX.

I'm about ready to switch to a Galaxy or Windows phone; I've had quite enough of missing phone calls and text messages and not even being able to hear what a caller is saying to me during a phone call. What the HECK??

I deeply appreciate any help with this issue.

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 10:07 AM

2 replies

Jul 9, 2014 11:00 AM in response to SaleenGirl

Did you already try to reset the phone by holding the sleep and home button for about 10sec, until the Apple logo comes back again? You will not lose data by resetting.

If this does not work, and to rule out damaged data inside the backup, set it up as new device without using the latest backup afterwards.

If the sound comes back, restore from the backup again.

How to back up your data and set up as a new device

iPhone 5c volume control is erratic; it turns itself down at irregular times, even during a phone call. I cannot hear it ring OR hear what the caller is saying!! Help!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.