Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Faces identification not working

When importing photos, the 'Face' recognition feature is not always available in the Info tab. I've been working through thousands of pictures separating them by the various family members but have recently run into this problem. Any suggestions? Thanks

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 9:14 AM

8 replies

Jul 9, 2014 10:13 AM in response to create_flash

There are 9 different versions of iPhoto and they run on 9 different versions of the Operating System. The tricks and tips for dealing with issues vary depending on the version of iPhoto and the version of the OS. So to get help you need to give as much information as you can. Include things like:

- What version of iPhoto.

- What version of the Operating System.

- Details. As full a description of the problem as you can. For example, if you have a problem with exporting, then explain by describing how you are trying to export, and so on.

- History: Is this going on long? Has anything been installed or deleted? - Are there error messages?

- What steps have you tried already to solve the issue.

- Anything unusual about your set up? Or how you use iPhoto?

Anything else you can think of that might help someone understand the problem you have.

Jul 10, 2014 4:38 AM in response to create_flash

Thanks for the reply. Mac O/S OSX 10.7.5 iPhoto 9.4.3 The problem has popped up occasionally in the past but nothing that was a real problem. I thought it might be a bad scan or an old photo. However, lately, the facial recognition issue has become more prevalent. The option, for the most part is just not always available. I click on the Photos-Detect Missing Faces to no avail. Not sure if it's user or system error. I've been downloading 44 years of photos the past 3 years since I retired. I have about 30 people and items listed in Faces. Hate to stop sorting now.

Thanks for the help.

Jul 10, 2014 6:15 AM in response to create_flash

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

iPhoto Faces identification not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.