Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule can't be opened because the original item can’t be found.

Everytime i try to open my timecapsule i get this menssage- ''Time Capsule can't be opened because the original item can’t be found.''

already tryeid to reset it but nothing happened.

what should i do?

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 9:25 AM

1 reply

Jul 9, 2014 3:10 PM in response to rique2702

You need to tell us a bit more info.

What modem and how is the TC connected to it and in what mode?

How is the computer connected to the TC?

What computer with what OS?

The general fix once the simple.. reboot and try again has failed is to reset the TC to factory and start again.

This will not delete files on the TC disk.. but it will allow you to gain access to the TC again.

It is important that ipv6 is set to link-local on your computer. Auto is not good enough.

And you must use wireless for the airport utility to work.

It is better second time around when you do the setup again.. use all short names no spaces and pure alphanumeric.

I strongly recommend you do this.. especially Mavericks is now a total pain with TC.

Manually mount the TC in finder. Use top menu, Go, Connect to server.

Type in AFP://TCname.local (replace TCname with your new short name.. local is the default domain name).

Or

AFP://10.0.1.1 (replace that IP with TC actual IP.. but it must be static. If the TC is the main router then by default that is the IP).

Don't forget to store the password in the keychain.

Time Capsule can't be opened because the original item can’t be found.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.