Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Work flow advice.

I am shooting a lot of GoPro video 1080 60 frames a second and putting the finished products on vimeo.
I am using FCPX and compressor.
I have been storing my edited products as a master file pro res 422 1920x1080 then I use compressor to covert it to H.264 1920x1080 30fps

I have no clue what I am doing, I am just doing it. Is there a better work flow process than what I am using?

Also I seem to remember that h.264 is done in hardware and does not share. If I do multiple jobs, three or so, it shares not not on a single job. Is this normal, or do I have an issue?
I need to get a little more structured in my approach to get a feel how this all works, but with the updates and my guessing, I have not gotten that far yet.

Thanks
Russ Burns

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 9:36 AM

6 replies

Jul 10, 2014 6:17 AM in response to burnsranch

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that H.264 doesn't share. You can have multiple jobs in a batch with multiple source files that will upload to Vimeo.

As far as workflow is concerned, why not keep it simple and just use the Vimeo preset. Compressor will encode your video to H.264 29.97 fps at a relatively high bit rate to preserve quality. And Vimeo will run what you upload through their encoder.

Russ

Jul 10, 2014 8:48 AM in response to Russ H

Here is my work flow. I shoot 6 or more hours of Gopro video H.264 a week. I try to add comments and edit them as I do them in FCPX. I save them as a 422 master file. then I use compressor to create the video format I want or need. Long term, I may require different formats.

I upload sort video clips over my satellite via FTP at 2am for my off hours bandwidth. The longer videos I upload from my portable at the community center 30 miles a way

Compressor has been a real pain. If I move a file to compressor via FCPX, I do not even get the option to use my cluster.
If encode in h.264. as a single file distributed process does not work. If I do multiple batch, they do distribute. A large file in other formats will break up and use the cluster. I have no clue which format distribute only as a whole file and which formats will break up and distribute.
At the moment, I have automatic file sharing turned off and my macpro connected to my Imac as server, because in 4.1.1 distributed process was far more stable that way. I need to retest the auto file sharing function.

I upgraded my go pro camera, FCPX and Compressor this last week, I know professionally it is a disaster to do that, but I hoped for the miracle. My encoding time for a two hour video is now a couple of days.

I have been patching this process together for a a year now, and I need to get it straightened out. I can build some test files and sort through the process, but it would be easier just to model my process after a more professional process.

Thanks

Russ Burns

User uploaded file

Jul 11, 2014 4:20 PM in response to Russ H

I reinstalled compressor and did some testing here is what I am getting.

7 min 60FPS master res 422 1920 x 1080 > Vimeo HD 1920 x 1080 32 min cluster

7 min 30FPS master res 422 1920 X 1080 > Vimeo HD 1920 x 1080 11 min cluster

7 min 60FPS master res 422 1920 x 1080 > AppleHD 1920 x 1080 20 sec no cluster

7 min 30fps master res 422 1920 x 1080> AppleHD 1920 x 1080 3 min cluster.

I sure do not see any reason not to use AppleHD I tested the 20 sec one a few times.

Thanks for the help

Russ Burns

Work flow advice.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.