Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect to Canon Mx870 scanner after OS 10.9.4 update

Hi, world of Mac geniuses:

after the 10.9.4 update, none of the Macs in my house (a 2010 iMac, a 2012 MacBook Pro, a 2014 MacBook Air) will recognize the scanner function on our networked Canon MX870 integrated scanner / printer. They all recognize it as a printer, but not as a scanner. It is connected wirelessly to our AirPort base station. As I said, all the computers in the house do recognize it as a printer, and can print to it, so I don't think there's anything wrong with the network connection per se.

I've tried all the obvious fixes -- restarting all the devices, removing the printer and then reinstalling it in System Preferences on each machine, removing the printer from the network and then connecting it to the network again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas?

--JT

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 9:56 AM

6 replies

Jul 9, 2014 7:57 PM in response to JeremyTrabue

To use Image Capture or Preview you need an ICA driver. This ICA driver is available from Apple and should have been downloaded when you added the printer component of the MX870. So with the current issue it may be worth installing the ICA driver again. Here is a link to that file from the Canon Australia web site.

http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0100213314.html

Jul 10, 2014 2:23 PM in response to JeremyTrabue

Just to confirm, when you want to connect to a networked scanner using Image Capture, the device will appear under the heading of Shared rather than Devices. So the MX870 is not listed under the heading of Shared?

If it is not listed under Shared, then a suggested action would be to connect the MX870 to one Mac via USB cable - purely as a test. If you then open Image Capture on this Mac the MX should now be shown under Devices. Select it and see that you can scan. This will confirm that the ICA driver is installed and working correctly. If this does work, disconnect the USB cable from the Mac and try scanning via the network again.

Connect to Canon Mx870 scanner after OS 10.9.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.