Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Keeps Dropping Connection

I've had this apple TV for about a year(It was actually replaced by apple about 7 months ago for being defective) and have it connected via home sharing to my mid 2012 MBP w/ Retina. The issue is whenever I try to stream a video from my iTunes on my computer to the apple TV via home sharing, after about two minutes of streaming the Apple TV will just disconnect and immediately reconnect, so I have to reload the video. It doesn't do this with any other application, and usually doesnt even happen when streaming music. Just Movies. They are both connected to my NETGEAR wireless router. Its been going on for a few months now and makes watching anything a very painful experience.

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 10:28 AM

15 replies

Aug 20, 2014 11:20 AM in response to necrosato

I am having this same EXACT problem. I have the ATV3 with the latest update (firmware 6.2) and I am on the latest version of iTunes 11 on my Mac Mini. This is THE most annoying problem ever, as I do not remember it doing this when I first got the ATV3 about a year ago. The thing is, I wish I could pinpoint if it was maybe an ATV3 firmware upgrade, or an iTunes version upgrade, but I cannot. But, I have tried just about everything I have seen in forums where there are A LOT of people having the same issue, but to no avail.

Today I have been tracking the timing of the drop out/disconnect to see if there is a pattern. After each time I am turning off 'Home Sharing' from the Mac Mini, and then turning it back on, then restarting the same movie.

And as mentioned by several people it is just the connection between ATV and iTunes that has the issue, meaning that I do not have disconnects when I use other applications on the ATV.

Aug 21, 2014 4:32 PM in response to vazandrew

Everything is up to date. The apple tv is one room away from the router (under network it says I have full bars for connection) and it is just next to the TV out in the open. Nothing else is around it or ever on around it. I even grid putting it in the middle of the room and reset it there ~6 ft away from anything. Still happens. Same issue with my best friends ATV.

Aug 21, 2014 4:38 PM in response to necrosato

Any reason why you aren't able to try ethernet? This would be purely for testing, to help rule out wifi issues. The network test/indicator is not an accurate representation of the network. Best to get a full report by going to istumbler or similar to see signal strength and any noise detected. Another option is to take to a controlled environment, like an Apple store/reseller, to see if the issue persists.

Aug 21, 2014 4:48 PM in response to necrosato

This is an issue with the local network, internet speed isn't relevant. If you weren't sure about istumbler then it would be best to run the report and post the values so I can verify.

You didn't mention how old your router is

As I said above "Another option is to take to a controlled environment, like an Apple store/reseller, to see if the issue persists."

Aug 21, 2014 7:15 PM in response to clarencew4

In your scenario it is working on ethernet, that shows that it's an issue with wifi. It really has nothing to do with software. The other buffering is also result of the interference on the network, but those are internet services that use adaptive streaming, and adjust accordingly in order to continue the stream. Home sharing is over the local network, reliant on a consistent signal, and intermittent issues within the network will cause it to lose the connection.

Apple TV Keeps Dropping Connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.