Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it *SAFE* to use genuine Apple accessories? I am worried about getting electrocuted like that girl in China...

About 8 months ago, I bought a $20 genuine Apple Lightning cable from Best Buy. Recently, the coating/insulation around that cable has begun to disintegrate.

I usually charge my devices with an Amazon Lightning cable, so this Apple cable was seldom used. It stayed on my desk at work, sometimes in direct sunlight (depending on time of day), and was used maybe 1-2 times per week to charge various iDevices. As you can see from my pictures, the Apple cable is still in pristine condition at the USB end, which is the end that gets MUCH MORE "wear and tear (I only have one USB outlet that I often share with a coworker to charge our various phones, tablets, kindle, cameras, portable scanners, printers, etc).

What should I do? Am I at risk for getting electrocuted like that girl in China? Is this a potential fire hazard?

I called Apple today and expressed my safety concerns, but they told me that because my separately purchased iPhone is 1.5 years old, they would need to charge me $20 + tax and shipping to replace this defective 8 month old cable. I was told that there is NO WARRANTY on Apple accessories.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 10:20 AM

2 replies

Jul 9, 2014 5:38 PM in response to klrblndg

You are not in any danger. The case in China was someone using a counterfeit USB adapter that did not provide isolation between the line voltage (240 volts in China) and the 5 volt USB output. AND she was using it in a bathtub. Not a good idea. However, counterfeit adapters abound, and some of them are such good fakes only an expert can tell them apart AFTER disassembling them. See this video, for example. SPOILER: BOTH adapters in the video are counterfeit. You would have to watch to the end to find that out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi-b9k-0KfE

Is it *SAFE* to use genuine Apple accessories? I am worried about getting electrocuted like that girl in China...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.