Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting to Synology Disk Station

I have a Synology Disk Station that shows up in the Finder under Shared (devices). But when I try to connect to it, the connection attempt fails. There is a button in finder called "Connect As", but clicking it just tries again to connect without allowing me to put in any connection credentials.

Has anyone successfully been able to connect their Mac Pro (late 2013) to a Synology Disk Station (specifically the DS414)?

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2015 7:26 AM

Try this: open the Control Panel, click on Win/Mac/NFS and check the box next to Enable SMB2 and Large MTU then select Apply. Once you have done that open a new finder window and select Command + K on your keyboard to open a Connect to Server window. In the Connect to0 Server window you will type in smb://169.254.128.22 then select connect. When it asks for credentials enter the DiskStation admin credentials then connect.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2015 7:26 AM in response to jhufton

Try this: open the Control Panel, click on Win/Mac/NFS and check the box next to Enable SMB2 and Large MTU then select Apply. Once you have done that open a new finder window and select Command + K on your keyboard to open a Connect to Server window. In the Connect to0 Server window you will type in smb://169.254.128.22 then select connect. When it asks for credentials enter the DiskStation admin credentials then connect.

Apr 8, 2015 2:03 PM in response to Zaga Martelletto

I have a Synology DS1513+ connected to a number of Macs. Every now and again, one of the Macs would be unable to connect to the Diskstation via Finder, although files could be opened from an application. Until I saw Zaga's note, the only solution was to restart the Mac. Now by using the CMD+K and using the fixed IP address that I assigned to the Diskstation, I could reconnect. Finder shows "Diskstation" as a failed connection but all the folders and files are there under the fixed IP address.

I assume that there's a conflict somewhere on the network but me and networks don't get on very well.

Thanks Zaga

Jun 17, 2015 3:57 PM in response to jhufton

I had this exact problem too. For me, the problem was that 'Apple Finder' will ONLY show 'Shared' folders on the Synology server. So the connection from 'Finder' to my 'DS214+' would authenticate properly but there was nothing to show so it would disconnect immediately.

To fix this, I noticed as soon as I used the Synology Control Panel>>File Sharing>>Shared Folder screen to 'Create' an empty 'Shared' folder, 'Apple Finder' connected immediately and showed the new shared folder I created.

To reiterate, the 'Connection Failed' notice in Apple Finder is caused by having no 'shared' content on your Synology Volume to show. Just create at least one 'shared' folder.

Connecting to Synology Disk Station

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.