Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thumbnails in Iphoto appears normal, full resolution picture missing

Hi guys,

I have been browsing the forum for hours trying to have this sorted without any success.

Im using an updated version of Iphoto.

A warning triangle appears for some of my photos in Iphoto from last year. The thumbnails are displaying as normal.

* I have tried to rebuild the library from Iphoto but only some photos seems to have been repaired

* I have tried to rebuild the library from Iphoto library manager but it also only repaired some photos

* In my master file, it only displays files dating back to August 2013. My missing files are from beginning of June, however I have older photos that are working fine which i can't find in the master file. There are also other photos from June and July working fine.

* The option 'revert to original' which has worked for some users is not clickable on my missing photos

* All newer photos seems to be working as normal.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 12:27 PM

8 replies

Jul 9, 2014 12:49 PM in response to PierreOBV

Tell us more about your system.

• Which version of MacOS X are you using?
  • Which version of iPhoto?
  • What happened, before this problem started? Did you update or install new software? Did you move your iPhoto library to a new drive?
  • Are other programs showing issues as well? Did iPhoto crash frequently?
* In my master file, it only displays files dating back to August 2013. My missing files are from beginning of June, however I have older photos that are working fine which i can't find in the master file. There are also other photos from June and July working fine.

The Masters file is organised by the import session - the year, month, day you imported the photos, not by the dates, when the photos have been taken.

A warning triangle appears for some of my photos in Iphoto from last year. The thumbnails are displaying as normal.

This means, that iPhoto cannot find the originals. Are complete events missing or only random photos in the events? If it are only random photos, try the command "File > Show in Finder > Original File" for a photo from the same events, that has been imported on the same day.

Do you see the missing original there?

Jul 9, 2014 1:28 PM in response to PierreOBV

This indicates a disconnect between the Thumbnail and the original

this can be caused by two things

1 - User action deleting items from inside the iPhoto library - can be directly - can be from the All images list (never delete from there) - can be from running cleanup software like MacKeeer, CleanMac2 or other dangerous, defective software that improperly deletes or changes things in the iPhoto library - if you have done any of these things you must restore your backup from before you did them and damaged your iPhoto library - and I recommend getting rid of any "clean up software" ASAP (although being essentially MalWear it is not easy)

2 - corruption of the iPhoto library - If it is not #1 then Back up your iPhoto library, Depress and hold the option (alt) and command keys and launch iPhoto - rebuild your database

Since you have tried this and it did not work my guess is #1 applies

If you supplied some details ole version of iPhoto, of the OS, recent changes etc maybe there is more help - but it is likely that restoring from a backup prior to the problem will be the answer

LN

Jul 9, 2014 2:41 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for the suggestions!

* I'm running updated versions of iphoto/mavericks

* I only noticed this just now when I was going to use some old photos. All other photos except from that event seems to be working fine

* No other programs are showing issues, Iphoto has been working properly

Basically, when I rebuilt the database, it managed to retrieve a few photos from the event. I can't open those photos as originals in finder. However I can open the modified version in finder. The error message I get when I try to open them as originals in finder is " The operation can't be completed because the item can't be found".

Feb 4, 2015 2:55 PM in response to PierreOBV

Pierre,

I have a very similar problem. Running MacBook Pro Retina, purchased August 2014. iPhoto 9.6. Never had a problem. Have not used any 3rd party applications to repair my Mac or delete duplicates or any other crazy ****. Updated OS to OS X Yosemite 10.10.2. Opened iPhoto and received message "update required." No other choice was available. So I updated iPhoto. It is still iPhoto 9.6, but now it does not work. I see thumbnails, but any photo I try to open yields a quick large version of the photo followed instantaneously by an exclamation point inside a triangle. I have tried EVERY suggestion listed here, including trying to find the master photo from iPhoto by opening in Finder. Finder opens but points to no photos. I also restored iPhoto from a Time Machine backup, and after that did not work, I tried all the suggestions listed here and elsewhere AGAIN. No joy.

I've also tested iPhoto by importing new photos - the result is the same. The only method I have not used is the iPhoto Manager App (can't specifically recall name) because I refuse to purchase a third-party app to fix an Apple product that Apple F'd up (and several people with this problem have reported that the Manager App has not cured the problem)..

I've now spent over 12 hours on trying to fix this problem myself by following the advice on these communities which frequently provide excellent and easy fixes to problems like this one which many are experiencing. No such luck. I've made an Apple Genius Appointment tomorrow. If they fix the problem, I will post what the Geniuses did. I'm not, however, betting on them.

Best of luck to all of us,

Pam

Feb 4, 2015 2:58 PM in response to PierreOBV

Give this a try:

Starting over from scratch with new library

Start over with a new library and import the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from your original library as follows:

1. Open the library package like this.

User uploaded file

2. Launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and, when asked, select the option to create a new library.

3. Drag the subfolders of the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from the open iPhoto Library package into the open iPhoto window a few at a time.

User uploaded file

This will create a new library with the same Events (but not necessarily the same Event names) as the original library but will not keep the metadata, albums, books slideshows and other projects.

Note: your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

User uploaded file

Thumbnails in Iphoto appears normal, full resolution picture missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.