Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mathematical formulas/ equations.

hi

i recently purchased a mac book air. i use it for studying and writing detailed lab reports with mathematical formulas/equations.

i don't know how to type these onto a document. i don't want it to do the sum for me just be able to write the actual formula so i can show

how do to a question, special charters etc etc

thank you for any help anyone can give

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 12:50 PM

5 replies

Jul 9, 2014 1:09 PM in response to Emsharibo

I suggestion using the application "Grapher" located in the folder "/Utilities"

In addition to being able to write formulas and fancy equations it will actually evaluate them too.

You can select the formula you entered and then copy and paste to many other places. IT will, generally, paste as a pdf or EPS-- which will scale very well.

Here is an example:

User uploaded file

You can also install MacTeX which allows you to use the LaTeX markup language to write equations.

Jul 10, 2014 8:19 AM in response to Emsharibo

Bonjour,

For editing mathematical expressions :

— Grapher.app : copy-paste from the "equation editor" (above the graph) onto TextEdit, Pages, Word, etc. But Grapher can't show all possible math signs and characters.

— MathType (see the website) is the best in my opinion, and very convenient with Pages, Numbers, Keynote : free for 30 days, then as good as :

— The Equation Editor of Microsoft Office (Word etc.) in the "Office" folder (same developer as MathType).

For Apple's Pages and MathType :

<http://www.dessci.com/en/products/MathType/works_with.asp#!target=apple_pages_ma c>

LaTex is a new language for writing mathematical expressions without using math siigns : you have to learn it…

Enjoy,

au revoir,

YB24

Jul 11, 2014 5:52 PM in response to Emsharibo

Bonjour,

A little more about using Grapher as an equation editor or for numerical computing :

On website <http://y.barois.free.fr/grapher/> you may read and domnload (free) “Mode d’emploi de Grapher“ (French) and “Instructions for Use-Grapher“ (English), an look at :

— pages 49-54, Using the equation editor / Utiliser l'éditeur d'équations ;

— pages 55-58, Numerical calculations (evaluations) / Calculs (évaluations) numériques..

Au revoir,

YB24

mathematical formulas/ equations.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.