Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2nd Gen taking too long to charge

Hello, I have an iPad 2nd generation 32GB WiFi+Cell (I only use WiFi) and I use it every day for more than 8hrs sometimes for school work. I always wait until the battery is fully drained to plug it in to the wall charger. However, for about a week or more it has taken longer than 7hrs for it to fully charge, which of course (apart from frustrating) it puts a setback on my daily routine and assignments. It used to take 1-2 1/2 hrs tops to charge. In order to minimize the battery use I have limited the amount of apps that use location setting to 1, the brightness is in the lowest available, I turn off the WiFi and the screen when I'm not using it and always close all apps. This iPad is a replacement one from the first one I got, this one was purchased on 9/27/13. The first one lasted 2yrs with no problems until the battery died and needed to be replaced. Please help.

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 11:55 AM

3 replies

Jul 9, 2014 12:11 PM in response to ceres0822

Check that your cable is in good working order and that you are using the appropriate charger. The iPad required a 10W charger, not the 5W that comes with an iPhone. Most other third-party chargers not SPECIFICALLY stated to be for iPad will charge, but very slowly.

Also, you should;t let the battery drain completely before charging it. You can do that maybe once per month, but repeatedly doing this is not good for Li-ion batteries. Follow Apple's recommendations for battery care and you should be ok. https://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

Jul 9, 2014 5:28 PM in response to Alfred DeRose

Thanks for your reply. However, unfortunetely, the only thing I could change is that I "Shouln't let my battery drain completely before charging it." I read the battery recommendations as you suggested and I already follow all it's guidelines, what it didn't say was the percentage at which one SHOULD start charging the iPad, so there is not much help there. Also my charger is brand new from the Apple store and it's a 12W. The cord is also in top condition. All in all I'm still baffled that it should take so long to charge....someone please help, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jul 9, 2014 5:44 PM in response to ceres0822

It does not matter when you charge an iPad or for how long. You can charge it at 90%, or at 60%, or any other value you want. And you don't have to charge it to 100% either. Charge it when convenient for as long as convenient. Running the battery all the way down occasionally does nothing good or bad for the battery, but it DOES recalibrate the battery gauge. There is absolutely no reason to do it every day, however.

If it is charging slower and you are using a 10 watt or 12 watt adapter you could have an app on the phone that is running in background while charging. This can slow it down.

iPad 2nd Gen taking too long to charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.