Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just updated to 10.9.4 and mail is not working?

Just updated to OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 and mail is not working?

Any advice appreciated.

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 12:52 PM

Try these in order testing your system after each to see if it's back to normal:

1. a. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

b. Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

2. Restart the computer in Safe Mode, then restart again, normally. If this doesn't help, then:

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the

COMMAND and R keys until the Utilities menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the

computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager

screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

3. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Reinstall the 10.9.4 update: OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 Update (Combo).

4. Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion, Mavericks: Reboot from the Recovery HD. Select Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion, Mavericks from the Utilities menu, and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2014 12:52 PM in response to HeidiPie25

Try these in order testing your system after each to see if it's back to normal:

1. a. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

b. Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

2. Restart the computer in Safe Mode, then restart again, normally. If this doesn't help, then:

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the

COMMAND and R keys until the Utilities menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the

computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager

screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

3. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

4. Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion, Mavericks: Reboot from the Recovery HD. Select Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion, Mavericks from the Utilities menu, and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Jul 9, 2014 1:56 PM in response to dianeoforegon

Apologies, i haven't used a forum before.

I can open mail but it cant send from any of my accounts or receive.

My iphone and ipad can send and receive from all accounts so i know they are working, just not on my imac.

I have internet connection so that is not the issue.

I have restarted twice and also shut down and left for 5min before rebooting.

I have used apple for 20yrs so am very familiar with the system but things are changing so fast and the updates are so frequent i am struggling to keep up with how to fix things.

Thanks, Heidi

Jul 9, 2014 2:21 PM in response to HeidiPie25

Under Windows in the Menu bar select Connection doctor. You will see green to indicate a connection and red to show there is a problem. Except for iCloud account you'll see two entries for each account 1) receiving and 2) SMTP for sending.

EDIT SMTP SETTINGS

In Accounts window > Outgoing Mail Server SMTP: select to Edit SMTP Server list... from popup.

Select account in the list.(It's not uncommon to find extra SMTP servers listed. When you remove account, Mail does not delete the smtp info. You might need to do some clean up in the list to remove the extras.)

Under Advanced Tab:

User uploaded file

Apple defaults to the default ports (25,465, 587) but some servers prefer a custom port. Check to see what port they recommend. Gmail for example likes 465, Outlook.com 587.

Verify if your server requires SSL. (Gmail and Outlook.com both require SSL)

User Name. Enter full email address eg. UserName@gmail.com

Add password if it is blank.(If you have two step authentication setup, you'll need to get an app specific password more info)

Open Connection Doctor under Window in the Menu bar.

Do you see green light now for your account SMTP?

Jul 9, 2014 3:20 PM in response to HeidiPie25

1) Remove all Account in System Preferences > Internet Accounts.**

Do you have any POP accounts? If yes, select to Archive all messages in the Inbox before deleting a POP account.

2) In your User's Library that is hidden by default**

Go to Containers in the User's Library folder.

drag the com.apple.mail folder to the Desktop

Go to Preferences in the User's Library folder.

If you find any com.apple.mail.plist files, delete these.

Log out under the Apple in the Menu bar

3) Enter account one at a time and verify they are working correctly.

Let me know if this helps.

**Show Library Folder:

Select the Finder in the Dock. Under Go in the Menu bar > hold down the Option key and you’ll see the Library.

Jul 9, 2014 7:28 PM in response to HeidiPie25

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you turn on the computer, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a Fusion Drive or a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Jul 15, 2014 7:47 AM in response to HeidiPie25

Heidi - if you have anything plugged into the computer during boot, unplug everything and try rebooting.

I had what sounds like it was a pretty similar problem and for some reason the printer (hp 7520) being plugged in during boot was causing some glitch that seemed to be only affecting apple mail sending and receiving.

Jul 16, 2014 1:36 AM in response to neecin

Thank you so much. I did unplug everything and reboot and sure enough mail started working as normal. However i do still have a problem, even though i have plugged in my printer lead again (hp ENVY 120) my imac and printer are not speaking to one another?

I can email print requests (as it is a wireless printer) and it will print. But i cant print directly from the imac? It says "printer is not connected"?

Dont suppose you can help with that on can you?

Fingers crossed!

Heidi

Jul 16, 2014 9:09 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi, Linc-

I reported a similar problem (no email after updating to 10.9.4) a week ago.

Can only send/receive email in safe mode

I had seen your boilerplate suggestion on restarting in Safe Mode several times in my research,

and the problem indeed goes away in Safe Mode.

But I have not seen the next step in finding a complete solution to the issue.

Surely there must be something other than telling my friend to always restart in Safe Mode, no?

Thanks!

brian

Just updated to 10.9.4 and mail is not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.